PDA

View Full Version : Ibiza 2002 1.2 aux belt problem

alanw2
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
The aux belt is squealing loudly-it's anIbiza 1.2 with air con 22,000 miles. I've removed and cleaned the belt and cleaned all the pulleys to remove any traces of oil or grease.I've rotated all the pulleys in an attempt to check the condition of the bearings (apart from the crankshaft pulley of course).The water pump,alternator,air con compressor and idler seem ok but the belt tensioner (which is rotated anti clockwise with a torx T-50 to remove the belt) seems to have excessive play.The bolt holding the tensioner pulley allows the pulley to slide in and out by about 1mm at the centre and allows 2 to 3 mm movement on the outside diameter.Rotating the bolt anti clockwise pushes the pulley againt a spring to refit/tension the belt.Rotating it clockwise by say half a turn requires much effort - I don't want to shear the bolt or damage any other component.Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the amount of play normal ? Can the play be adjusted ? Could it be something else ? Does a small amount of oil/grease/dirt on a belt make much difference ? How much does a tensioner cost and is it easy to fit ? Thanking you in anticipation