PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic gearbox fault

ProfDMW
13-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie on the forum, but I've been running Audi's and the like for many years..........

I need some advice - my wife's A6 Avant 2.8 (1999) has developed an intermittent fault, which I think(!) stems from the gearbox.

Very occasionally the cars stutters when accelerating from relatively low speed ~ 30mph+. The sensation is almost as if the gearbox is trying to change down a gear, but can't find it! This lasts seconds and then normal progress resumes.

The fault only ever shows itself as low rpm ~ 1400 rpm - when the car has got itself into a high gear (possibly 4th) and then as traffic speed picks up, the stutter appears as more acceration is required!

Manual selection seems fine? Engine revs round the full working range ok, and I've never notice a problem when making progress.

Is this a common fault? Will it get worse......... I hope someone can offer an insight into this annoying (and potentially worrying!) problem.

Kind Regards

Eshrules
13-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie on the forum, but I've been running Audi's and the like for many years..........

I need some advice - my wife's A6 Avant 2.8 (1999) has developed an intermittent fault, which I think(!) stems from the gearbox.

Very occasionally the cars stutters when accelerating from relatively low speed ~ 30mph+. The sensation is almost as if the gearbox is trying to change down a gear, but can't find it! This lasts seconds and then normal progress resumes.

The fault only ever shows itself as low rpm ~ 1400 rpm - when the car has got itself into a high gear (possibly 4th) and then as traffic speed picks up, the stutter appears as more acceration is required!

Manual selection seems fine? Engine revs round the full working range ok, and I've never notice a problem when making progress.

Is this a common fault? Will it get worse......... I hope someone can offer an insight into this annoying (and potentially worrying!) problem.

Kind Regards

are you absolutley sure this is a gearbox issue and not MAF related?

ProfDMW
13-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I might be sounding dumb, but how would I spot the difference?

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Get the fault codes read. It is pointless trying to diagnose Tip probs without them.

Rgds

wrenny10
19-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Kind Regards

did you find out what the problem was?

My A4 Avant 2.5 tdi has the some problem

many thanks