PDA

View Full Version : Audi 80 Noise when turning, drumming at high speed - ideas?

Timk
13-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I have had an 80 avant 1994 TDI from new, which has been generally well maintained, though not by the dealer for the last few years.

Recently I have a couple of problems / noises developing which may (or may not!) be related.

When turning right only there is a slight grinding noise. I believe I had this kind of a noise about 2 yrs ago, and it seemed to disappear after changing the wheel bearing.

What I also notice now is a slight drumming at high speed (not really until over 85mph - and on the continent of course!), which is like a wheel balancing judder. I know its not the wheels as I had them checked and swapped front/back recently, they have also been refinished in the last year. Also its not really felt through the steering, but more by the passenger!

Garage where I have the car service has not really been able to be helpful.

Any ideas?

Timk

Ian W
13-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Does the drumming make the steering wheel wobble from side to side at all or does it feel like it's the wheel bouncing up and down?

I've had the second symptom which feels like the wheel bouncing up and down in quick succession and although the steering wheel doesn't wobble, you can feel it through it.

I think my front shocks are on their way out. As for the grinding noise, sorry i can't help with that at all.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Ian

Timk
13-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Does the drumming make the steering wheel wobble from side to side at all or does it feel like it's the wheel bouncing up and down?

I've had the second symptom which feels like the wheel bouncing up and down in quick succession and although the steering wheel doesn't wobble, you can feel it through it.

I think my front shocks are on their way out. As for the grinding noise, sorry i can't help with that at all.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Ian

You really dont feel it through the steering much at all, but it is definitely more up and down rather than side to side. I feel it most in fact if I reach over and put my hand on the dash above the glovebox, oddly enough. Perhaps it is more to do with the shocks/suspension, though I've had these checked out (apparently).

Timk
13-02-2007, 10:14 PM
The grinding noise could be the rubber bush in the steering damper, only a thought ;)

Maybe something to look at :o (if I can find it!).

Timk
15-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Does this happen at a speed over and above or at a rpm?? poss engine mount??

Has the car been left standing for any length of time?? ( flat spots)

If not i would go for a worn shock / damper

Car is usually regularly used. Though it was stood up for 6 weeks last summer.

The vibration becomes noticable above a certain speed, and can actually get less again as speed increases. I am coming to suspect more of a shock problem as it also seems to be dependant on the driving conditions (wind, road surface) and I think this would tend to suggest it is not a problem with wheel balance or drive shaft.

As its a high speed problem its not so easy to analyse. It was when driving back from Switzerland last November that I really felt there was something I needed to get to the bottom of (actually passenger was urging me to avoid certain speeds), but have not really had any success yet. Garage says springs and shocks are fine.

In Norwich I live in the centre of speed bump land, and its more than possible that these have had an adverse affect on the suspension!

really wants an RS6
15-02-2007, 05:27 PM
If it's a drumming rather than a wobble or judder I would say wheel bearing. The grinding would be the front brake disc touching a chunk of rust on the brake caliper as the wheel bearing play allows the disc to move. Don't know if this helps but I have seen it before, let us know how you get on.

TDi-iac
17-02-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey all,
I am in the process of changing the whole front suspension on my '95 TDi (Hobby home mechanics take their time over things ;) )
I get the juddering in high gears at low speed, due to BOTH knackered wheel bearings + shocks with virtually no oil left in them - wheel bearing sets off the judder, while shocks accentuate it.
If the front corner is at fault, then it can be felt through the power transfer at high torque, ie. does the gearstck feel as though its rattling an instant before the car does when pulling at low revs.
If so, check for oil seepage around the shocks, or listen for a humming sound coming from the bearings when cornering at speed.

Timk
17-02-2007, 02:24 PM
If it's a drumming rather than a wobble or judder I would say wheel bearing. The grinding would be the front brake disc touching a chunk of rust on the brake caliper as the wheel bearing play allows the disc to move. Don't know if this helps but I have seen it before, let us know how you get on.

Grinding noise has been solved!

It was indeed the back of the brake disk guard coming into contact with the disk when turning right. The bottom of the guard seemed to have been bent in towards the disk. Although there doesnt seem to be excessive play in the wheel bearing, I think the fact that the contact occurred at all, suggests that this is probably the case and the bearing may be knackered.

Nice to have that one out of the way, just the drumming/rumble now. But that is pretty slight. May all be connected with the bearing and/or shocks.

Will get the shocks and bearing assessed next week.

Thanks all for suggestions... :beerchug: