PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 V6 battery cover tools

severals
04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi, can anybody tell me what special tools are needed to remove the cover & battery from an A3 3.2 V6 ? This is located in the luggage compartment.

Thanks in advance, Dave

gixxerk4600
04-11-2008, 04:59 PM
do u have any pictures cos im not too sure what u mean, do you mean the battery cover under the bonnet, to remove the batter you will need a socket set, its either a 8 or 10 mil socket required to remove the battery. i may be answering this totaly wrong as i didnt really understand what u mean. what is in the luggage compartment!

severals
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi gixxerk, thanks for the reply, according to the user manual the A3 V6 battery is under the spare wheel in the luggage compartment & needs special tool to take off the battery cover, all that is under the bonnet are jump start terminals.
The battery is probably knackered & I don't want to pay dealer prices, as they suggest in the manual, to change the battery.

Regards, David

gixxerk4600
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
have u found out about the battery yet, i have gone onto most forums that i know of and asked the question and no reply! i dnt think anyone knows! im goin to try n talk to a mate who works for audi see what he knows!

gixxerk4600
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
just got a reply n he said,

I had to change the battery on my 3.2, it is indeed under the spare wheel.

You need to take out the wheel and the tray that holds the tools etc on the right hand side and then there's a panel bolted to the floor that you need to remove.

Don't recall any 'special' tools but you'll need the right sized socket to undo the bolts (might be torx bolts?) the battery is underneath this plate in a 'box'.

It's a big battery......

jason111
24-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I came across this thread via google looking for an answer to the same question.

There is a metal panel in the boot which covers the battery compartment, and this has some screws with foreign screw mountings that need to be removed. The instructions in the manual say that "special" tools might be needed, which at first made me think I'd need a special tool from Audi or something irritating like that.

Looking at it, it looks like it needs a star shaped allen key, which is where I started googling. I also looked at the drill bits in my cupboard, and I have a few of these in a cheap multi-piece toolbox I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

However this wikipedia page has a column on the right picturing all sorts of screw fittings, and clicking on them led me to looking at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_square

and the text on this particular reads as follows:

They are commonly found on German vehicles such as BMW, Mercedes, and Volkswagen. These screws are used in high torque applications such as cylinder head bolts and drive train components.

So in short, I suspect it's this one but I can't be sure.

I searched the Halfords (UK) website for "triple square", I found that they advertise a 100 piece drill bit set for £10.99 which has 3 sizes of triple square screw bits amongst many others, and those bits with their hexagonal mountings should fit a standard spanner and do the job.

So I am just reporting back my investigations on this, I hope it helps the next googler like me that might come hunting for the same information.

Next I'll have to work out what tools I need to connect and disconnect the terminals.

severals
26-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Jason, Your'e quite right about the Torx head screw, but it is not a standard Torx (more serrations). In the end I used a 6mm hex key, this fitted fairly well & gave me enough purchase on the bolt without damaging
it. It turned out that I didn't need to remove the battery, it accepted a charge through the under bonnet terminals & has been OK since.
The reason that the battery discharged itself was because I didn't start the car up for about 3 weeks, now I make sure that it is driven every week.

Regards, Dave