PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0T or MK5 GTI??

suthers
04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi guys i bought a A3 2.0T for the 4x4 and the badge of audi.... Before i had a mk5 1.6fsi golf. I am now thinking maybe i should of gone for the golf mk5 gti..? Audi seem to be very unhelpful and don't seem that interested, Ive been in twice and have only had the car for 2 months! To me it just doesnt feel as 'tight' as the golf.. i know it has alot more power and 4x4 system but just doesnt seem as smooth.. They have looked over my car and its 100% fine (i bought it from audi anyway) but i dunno just doesnt feel as solid... Dont get me wrong the power is great and its brilliant to drive but i wish i had looked at the GTi.... Has any one had/got a GTi? What does every thing think is the better car?? Thanks in Advance:D

gixxerk4600
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
it would feel a lot different, it might be because the car is stiffer and more powerfull so might be a harder ride, generally audi have a better build quality than vw as the a3 is the expensive classier version of the golf. may be worth taking it to a non audi garage to get them to check it over, all dealerships are the same, once they get rid of the car, they dont wana know bout the car any more! u have got used to a 1.6 fsi, and the 2.0t as said earlier has a stiffer ride and most 4x4 system can be quite, how do i put it..... 'clunky' 'brutal' and can sound like a rough ride compared the the quite 2 wheel drive systems. what do u feel is up with the car?

engineermk
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
have you got a "Sport" or "S Line" ? I'm guessing teh s line is more taught than a sport.

I did the same, I have a A3 2.0T Q Sport after a string of Golf GTi's. I'd say its less involving than a golf, a bit more clinical. however i love the wheel spin free pull away from standstill and the build quality (so much better than a mk5 golf).

I have driven a golf mk5 GTi and prefer my A3.

engineermk
04-11-2008, 05:08 PM
BTW. I also think the road & drivetrain noise is higher in the A3 Q than the golf.

suthers
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
hi guys cheers for your replies. It is a S line so yeah the ride is quite hard... My brother has a RS4 and his feels alot smoother than mine.. I dont actually feel like any thing is wrong with the a3 but its just alot harder than the golf. But as you guys said i think its just alot more power and you can feel it... just seems to clang around abit.. engine is quite loud gears are abit clunky...

gixxerk4600
05-11-2008, 10:01 AM
if you find the engine too loud then you can just put in some more sound proofing up against the fire wall and maybe a bit behind the fabric under the bonnet!

omegadirective
05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
It's a noisey engine anyway, but as above, sound proof it more? Or failing that, run it on Super Unleaded for a while. This quite often improves the running of the engine. Stay clear of supermarket fuels unless you have no choice and can afford to.

The main difference will be the suspension set up judging by what I've heard people say. The ride on my 1.6 A3 was much better than the ride on my S3, but you get used to it after a while and certainly for me, the S3 is a much better car. Once you adapt to the car you'll be fine. :)

The RS4 is a remarkably smooth ride anyway for such a powerful car. I was impressed when I drove one. Only thing I didn't like about it was the clutch as (unavoidably) it's a heavy one. Really bad for town/city driving. When I eventually get an RS4, I'll be going Auto! :) The RS4 is a different chassis though, and handles much better IMHO. The A3/S3/Golf/etc chassis is still a good one! I'd imagine a GTI wouldn't be far off the same type of handling as an equivalent S3.

zebel
03-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Personally i would have the Mk5 GTI, i owned one for 2 years and it was an absolute joy. I had the bigger alloys (Monza's i think) DSG, Sat Nav etc etc and loved it. I am just in the process of selling my Focus ST (Hunk of junk) and picking up a new S3 Sportback... Fingers crossed VAG will not dissapoint as i have had 18 months of hell in a ford. lol

dod1e
03-12-2008, 04:29 AM
I'd be interested to hear what you didnt like about the ford focus ST.......

onemanparty
03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Personally i would have the Mk5 GTI, i owned one for 2 years and it was an absolute joy. I had the bigger alloys (Monza's i think) DSG, Sat Nav etc etc and loved it. I am just in the process of selling my Focus ST (Hunk of junk) and picking up a new S3 Sportback... Fingers crossed VAG will not dissapoint as i have had 18 months of hell in a ford. lol

I would be interested in what you think of the S3 Sportback as I have had an S3 before and have an A4 now and am already looking forward to changing to an S3 Again :D

zebel
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Guy's,

Ok firstly, the FOCUS ST... I bought the car quickly as i had my MK5 GTI stolen and needed a car, the ST was in stock and therefore took it as a quick fix. 2.5l 5 pot turbo 225 bhp.. sounded good. BUT.. Build quality is a million miles away from the VW, Handling is not a patch on the VW, i know a bit about handling as am an ex bike racer so know about limits and pushing cars. Fuel consumption is a complete joke, a cannot get above 19mpg no matter how i drive. Well thats a bit of a lie as i did get 21mpg driving to Wales once, 125 miles none stop following my sister in law like a snail. The traction control is the worst i have ever experienced and the first thing i do is switch it off every time i get into the car. I could go on but on a positive note when you thrash it you can have some fun, it sounds good being 5 pot and it is relatively cheap for the performance. All in all though i will be very glad to see the back of it.

Next.

S3 Sportback... I have driven the original S3 which i thought was a revelation, then i test drove a new S3 and was amazed at the perfomance and build quality but it wasn't quite practical enough for me as i have a big dog and kids are in my future plans so the sportback looked like the next best thing. It drives the same as the S3, well as far as i can tell. I think it looks great and in white or black it just does it for me.

My old man has the S4 and every time i get in in i wish i still had my VAG car.

dod1e
03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks mate that was very helpful.

Dod

suthers
03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I have had my a3 2.0T sline quattro for a while now and i do have to say i love it, i have got use to it like every one said! It is a bit loud and abit clunky but it is so fun to drive. I am still eager to have it chipped as then i will be getting s3 speeds...although still abit hesitant as warranty and other parts failing... My brother had a old shape s3 with 60k on it and we had it on a stage 2 upgrade but every thing started braking so has put me off a bit...Has any one got the a3 turbo chipped?? Would love to know how they are getting along! At the moment all i have done to my car is put some 19inch Le mans bbs alloys which i had on a s4 and a viper induction kit... Dont want it to look boy racer at all so i think i will post some pics for you guys to see and tell me what you think.. Also if your thinking of getting an induction kit for your a3 turbo dont get the k and n viper!! It performs better (a tiny bit) but there is no room for the cold air feed so i had to cut it down and all sorts! wis!:o