PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights and main beam not working!

mattyc94
04-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey everybody as above,

Have checked the bulbs for the break lights and both seem fine. Could it be the switch under the brak pedal?

Main beam - when i flick the main beal on it switches the lights off completely.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

micheal balbrig
04-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey everybody as above,

Have checked the bulbs for the break lights and both seem fine. Could it be the switch under the brak pedal?

Main beam - when i flick the main beal on it switches the lights off completely.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

As you suggest the brake light switch would be first
to check after eliminating any fuse /bulb problem

Main beam problem=check bulbs/fuses
I remember someone with similar problem had switch fault
and it was cured by a spray of wd 40

mattyc94
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Cheers for the reply.

Thing with the main beam - has never worked since i got the car a few months ago. When I looked in the fusebox the place for the main beam fuse had no fuse in it!

Seems to be one of the larger square fuses (top right hand corner of fusebox)

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct fuse and what type it is?

Cheers, Matt

micheal balbrig
05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Cheers for the reply.

Thing with the main beam - has never worked since i got the car a few months ago. When I looked in the fusebox the place for the main beam fuse had no fuse in it!

Seems to be one of the larger square fuses (top right hand corner of fusebox)

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct fuse and what type it is?

Cheers, Matt

As per handbook for Audi 80
Fuse layout from left to right
no 8=High Beam Headlight right/warning lamp
no 9 High Beam Headlight left

mattyc94
09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi there,

OK pulled the undertray off from under the steering wheel to look at the switch at the back of the brake pedal. And to be honest I really dont know what I'm looking for.

So...I've taken a few photos, can anyone help me out!?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/mattyc94/09112008312.jpg

P.S. the brake pedal is the bar in the middle

micheal balbrig
09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi there,

OK pulled the undertray off from under the steering wheel to look at the switch at the back of the brake pedal. And to be honest I really dont know what I'm looking for.

So...I've taken a few photos, can anyone help me out!?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/mattyc94/09112008312.jpg

P.S. the brake pedal is the bar in the middle

The brake light switch is one of these ok but I would be reluctant to advise to bridge contacts here as one of the units
is probably connected to ecu and bridging cables could possibly cause harm. I will at a later stage (few days)confirm which unit is the
actual brake light one and come back to you
In the meantime someone else may reply

mattyc94
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Michael,

Cheers for replying again, if you could find out which one the switch is it would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone any idea what could be causing the main beam to malfunction? Bulbs are definitely fine.

micheal balbrig
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey Michael,

Cheers for replying again, if you could find out which one the switch is it would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone any idea what could be causing the main beam to malfunction? Bulbs are definitely fine.

Hello Matty. Had a look at switches today.
it appears that largest of the two is the brake light switch
the highest one. What I found is that there is power to the yellow/red cable when ign was on. when pedal is pushed it allows the live to continue to the black/red cable.
Hope this helps

As regards the Headlight problem with bulbs eliminated as cause. You could check to see if you have power at the two fuses. You can do this with multimeter or tester with light and probe. there is normally a small bit of metal contact on the fuse
where you can test same. If you get no joy from this test I may try to follow power path on similar model to assist.
Am I right in assuming that the h/lights do not work when you
keep lever pulled out as for flashing?
If it is a switch problem it is not too difficult to replace

mattyc94
13-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Flip me you've gone to alot of trouble, thanks again!

Thats a great help, will give it a blast hopefully this weekend and get a new swicth if needs be.

Thanks again, Matt

mattyc94
16-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Slight progress on the main beam situation - battery shat itself and the car wouldnt jump ( was in an underground car park of a hotel) and couldnt bump start.

Anyways...while the RAC man was there I asked hom to check the main beam issue...as Michael suggested he checked the fuses and all were fine. he says hes 95% sure it'll be the a connection at the actual stock, failing that it'll be the relay.

Starting to get somewhere now...need to get a weekend at it and get the thing sorted! MOT coming up in a few weeks, nightmare!

mattyc94
16-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Ignore

mattyc94
27-11-2008, 10:21 AM
wohooooooooooooooo!!

Got them both sorted last night...

Brake Light - very stupid one!!! I confused myself with the fusebox and thought the fuses which run along the front of the box were spares! Simple switch of the middle fuse and Bob's your uncle.

Main Beam - when my battery died I asked the RAC fella to have a look at this for me. He was able to narrow it down to either the stock or relay. As there is no relay I got another stock from a fella I know braking and set to work on it last night. Through a combination of the stock I picked up and my own I was able to get it working!!

NOTE: be very careful when taking the stock apart loads of springs inside. Steering wheel had to come off to slip the stock off.

Easy way to test for a faulty stock - Remove casing from around rear of steering wheel, pull out power plug, fire the power plug into a spare stock (from breakers) test everythings working.

Hopefully this helps someone was driving me nuts!

Matt

RJS_90q
24-12-2008, 11:55 PM
I had a problem on a previous vehicle (Audi 80 quattro) where the main beam failed (scarily enough, when driving !). I quickly switched back to dipped beam which thankfully worked okay. Upon investigation, it was the ignition switch that had failed and was not supplying the fusebox with the power that it was requiring when positioned at ignition 'on'.

You should try and find a wiring diagram and figure out what the ignition switch supplies and what circuits would be affected (maybe more that the main beam and brake lights ?).

Hope that this helps,

Regards,
Bob