PDA

View Full Version : Question How often to polish

Audi Happy
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi guys,
I have treated my new car to wash mit, waffle weave and megs NXT polish. quick question, i polished it the first time with the NXT last weekend and the results were amazing compared to the Autoglym i previously used, but how often should i polish? is it best at first to polish every time i wash the car to build up layers or will that do more harm than good ?

Also as a virgin waffle weave user how do you find them ??, i understand they do less harm than a leather but they don't seem to soak the water up very well

Cheers
:beerchug:

elitedetailer
03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,
I have treated my new car to wash mit, waffle weave and megs NXT polish. quick question, i polished it the first time with the NXT last weekend and the results were amazing compared to the Autoglym i previously used, but how often should i polish? is it best at first to polish every time i wash the car to build up layers or will that do more harm than good ?

Also as a virgin waffle weave user how do you find them ??, i understand they do less harm than a leather but they don't seem to soak the water up very well

Cheers
:beerchug:

Hi Audi Happy,

The NXT polish is ok but it has cleaners in it, which isn't really a good thing when it comes to "layering". You are basically removing some of your previous coats each time you put a new coat on.

You need a pure sealant or wax if you want to build layers.

This stuff is awesome, will give a better shine and a single layer will last 5 times as long a NXT layer. Zaino Z2 Pro (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=13&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

If you would like more info, please ask.

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug:

DEBBIE.G
03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Polish will only remove the swirls/scratches in the clearcoat it does not offer any layers of protection!
When you have removed the swirls/sratches then you should apply layers of wax to protect the paint which you have removed the defects out of with your polish!
Polishing should only be done about twice a year in my opinion.
If you use a good WASH technique and a good WAX you should not need to polish that often at all.

Audi Happy
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Cheers guys, i think i'll invest in some wax and build up the layers whilst the paintwork is still new and un blemished. It's costing me a fortune this detailing business but worth every penny when i see nice gleaming red paintwork

Thanks for the advice.

J

elitedetailer
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Cheers guys, i think i'll invest in some wax and build up the layers whilst the paintwork is still new and un blemished. It's costing me a fortune this detailing business but worth every penny when i see nice gleaming red paintwork

Thanks for the advice.

J

Audi Happy,

If you would like some recommendations then plz pm/email me. I am very familiar with VAG paintwork.

Regards
EliteDEtailer

m4xmw
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I`m layering my red Passat estate with Vicoria Wax concours...
Paid 18 for a small jar, it should last years though!

Mark

DEBBIE.G
04-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Have a look at this
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

Collinite No.476S Super Double Coat Auto Wax

its very tough wax. you can get it on ebay

Eshrules
05-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I've tried a fair few, including CG's xxx & Pete's 53, I've tried some of the dodo range (not overly impressed, I have to admit) but after seeing Zaino in action, I have to say that's my next purchase.

I personally think victorias and Zymol are overpriced for what they are, but each to their own.

m4xmw
05-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont use Zaino yet.. but have seen it and i`ll agree, very nice...
Its reflective and last for ages.

Still like my Vics Concours on flat red though!

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I've tried a fair few, including CG's xxx & Pete's 53, I've tried some of the dodo range (not overly impressed, I have to admit) but after seeing Zaino in action, I have to say that's my next purchase.

I personally think victorias and Zymol are overpriced for what they are, but each to their own.

Yep Zaino is awesome. I have been using it for years now and for the money its the best hands down.

I also stock Zaino BTW. :beerchug:

Regards
EliteDetailer

m4xmw
05-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I remember about Zaino off Autopia years ago... was very well regarded in the states.

I reckon I`ll put that on my shopping list.

I take it ZFX`d is the way to go really?

Mark

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I remember about Zaino off Autopia years ago... was very well regarded in the states.

I reckon I`ll put that on my shopping list.

I take it ZFX`d is the way to go really?

Mark

Yes the Zaino ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=12&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) in conjunction with the Zaino Z2 Pro (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=13&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) gives a great finish, almost unbeatable! Its seriously durable too Mark.

Audi Happy
05-11-2008, 03:59 PM
So,
I want my car to look good but dont want to spend a fortune so how would this sound?

1. wash the car, I'm using AG shampoo, wash mit and waffle weave to dry.
2. polish the car with the Megs NXT which i have which will help clean the paintwork.
3. finish off with Zaino Z2 pro ( which i'll have to invest in )

Would this have the desired effect on 6 week old paintwork ??

Thanks for all your help i'm new to this

J

m4xmw
05-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I`d wash the car as you`ve said, dont forget to use 2 buckets!

One with shampoo and the other with rinse water...

I`d use the NXT on your wheels, and instead clay the car to remove any surface contaminants and leave the paint super smooth.
I`d use a mild clay bar and lube...(if unsure just ask)
Then use NXT until you get some Zaino.

hope this is helpful?

Audi Happy
05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeh,
My neighbour used clay on his car the other week, a black focus st, it felt really smooth after but for a black car the shine was dissapointing, or is the clay just to clean and the final process to give the 'Punch' ??

J

Audi Happy
05-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry me again,
I've just read that if you use the Z2 in order to build up layers you have to use the accelerator between coats, is that if your recoating the same day or do you have to use it everytime you recoat even if its a week or two later ?

J

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
So,
I want my car to look good but dont want to spend a fortune so how would this sound?

1. wash the car, I'm using AG shampoo, wash mit and waffle weave to dry.
2. polish the car with the Megs NXT which i have which will help clean the paintwork.
3. finish off with Zaino Z2 pro ( which i'll have to invest in )

Would this have the desired effect on 6 week old paintwork ??

Thanks for all your help i'm new to this

J

First of all get yourself a couple of buckets.

Then carry on using your AG until you run out. When you have run out, buy this its much better: Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=2&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid)

Then clay your car with this: Zaino Z-18 Clay System (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=8&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

Then apply Zaino Z2 Pro (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=13&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

If you dont mind spending an extra 9, get this its well well worth it! Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=10&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) This is an optional buy but its real good stuff.

Your NXT is pants as winter is fast approaching and if your car is subjected to rain/salty roads then the NXT will wear off super fast.

The Z2-Pro will last you a very long time, (years).

Later, when you want to spend a little more cash, get this too, its versatile and great for when you need something with a bit of cleaning/light polishing power: Zaino All In One (AIO) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=17&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) Again, it will last you ages.

Any more questions, please ask.

Regards
EliteDetailer

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry me again,
I've just read that if you use the Z2 in order to build up layers you have to use the accelerator between coats, is that if your recoating the same day or do you have to use it everytime you recoat even if its a week or two later ?

J

You only need to buy the Zaino ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=12&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) if you plan to put more than one coat of Z2 on in one day.

If you have an extra 20 to spend, I'd get the
Zaino All In One (AIO) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=17&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) before the ZFX.

You could also buy one of these kits mind which has the Z2, AIO, Z6 plus cloths and applicators. http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=113&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2

Regards
EliteDetailer

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeh,
My neighbour used clay on his car the other week, a black focus st, it felt really smooth after but for a black car the shine was dissapointing, or is the clay just to clean and the final process to give the 'Punch' ??

J

The clay is to clean the surface.

Regards
EliteDetailer

m4xmw
05-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Good tips from Elitedetailer there...

However should you just wish to clay the car, this process just removes the contamination stuck to the paint that washing cant remove.

Whatever product you use on the paint will then be able to bond better.

On a new car, generally it wont need to be "polished" just protected.

The 2 bucket method when washing is key to keeping the shine and not introducing swirls and scratch marks.

I`d agree there are much better shampoo`s and they clean and act as a lubricant to glide dirt away.

Its great that you are taking the time to look after your car well, most folk dont!

Mark

Audi Happy
05-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all your help, i'll be placing my order for the Z2 pro shortly, just wish i'd looked into it in more detail before i bought the megs and turtlewax ice, still i can always use them up on the wife's car.

Cheers again

J

m4xmw
05-11-2008, 04:53 PM
You should still be able to use up you old waxes etc on door shuts etc.

:D

elitedetailer
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all your help, i'll be placing my order for the Z2 pro shortly, just wish i'd looked into it in more detail before i bought the megs and turtlewax ice, still i can always use them up on the wife's car.

Cheers again

J

You should clay the car before you Z2 it because the Z2 wont bond as well to the paintwork if you just slap it straight on.

Plife
05-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Good tips from Elitedetailer there...

On a new car, generally it wont need to be "polished" just protected.

Depends if the dealer prepped the car before pick up. If the dealer has gone anywhere near the paintwork it is highly likely it will need a polish to remove all the paint damage the dealer has inflicted!

Audi Happy
20-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Well I've gone and done it, clay and z2 pro on its way. ( i hope its a decent weekend, they forcast snow in yorkshire )
Question for elite detailer should the z2 be applied with a damp cloth or a dry cloth it doesn't say on the blurb ??
Cheers

J

elitedetailer
20-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Well I've gone and done it, clay and z2 pro on its way. ( i hope its a decent weekend, they forcast snow in yorkshire )
Question for elite detailer should the z2 be applied with a damp cloth or a dry cloth it doesn't say on the blurb ??
Cheers

J

Hi J,

Ideally, you would mist an Microfibre Applicator Pad (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=65&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) with Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=10&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

If you haven't got the above, then just fold up your microfibre cloth into quarters and apply it straight. You can slightly dampen it with water if you like. Make sure you apply the Z2 really thinly, almost so that it looks like there is virtually nothing on the car.

Thanks
EliteDetailer

Audi Happy
20-11-2008, 10:37 AM
That was quick, Cheers matey, if it looks good i might post some pics,
Thanks again for your help

J

Audi Happy
02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Well elite detailer, your not wrong, i finally got round to using the Z2 this weekend and the finish was fantastic ( for about half an hour until it started snowing ) thanks for the advise. So you've seen me right on the wax, what do you recomend for cleaning the wheels i've noticed, despite regular cleaning and polishing, they are beginning to show signs of break dust build up in the nooks and crannys. Any advice would be most appreciated
J

Eshrules
04-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Well elite detailer, your not wrong, i finally got round to using the Z2 this weekend and the finish was fantastic ( for about half an hour until it started snowing ) thanks for the advise. So you've seen me right on the wax, what do you recomend for cleaning the wheels i've noticed, despite regular cleaning and polishing, they are beginning to show signs of break dust build up in the nooks and crannys. Any advice would be most appreciated
J

Depending on the dirt on the wheels, bilberry or Meg's wheel brightener would bring them right up, once clean, seal with some poorboys wheel sealant, or a bit of chemical guys xxx (not quite as enduring as the wheel sealant).

Also, matey, don't forget Z2 is only a sealant, for an final finish you need to get a wax to layer on top of the sealant :)

elitedetailer
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Depending on the dirt on the wheels, bilberry or Meg's wheel brightener would bring them right up, once clean, seal with some poorboys wheel sealant, or a bit of chemical guys xxx (not quite as enduring as the wheel sealant).

Also, matey, don't forget Z2 is only a sealant, for an final finish you need to get a wax to layer on top of the sealant :)

Who told you that you need to put wax on top of the Z2? Thats completely the wrong advice... You don't need to put anything on top of the Z2 pro.

Wheel Brightener is also acid based so he shouldn't be using that either regularly.

Audi Happy,

Use this wheel cleaner, R222 High Performance Wheel Gel Cleaner (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=7&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2) It is totally safe and not acid based. Let it sit on your wheels for a good 30 mins. Then agitate and rinse your wheels. You could spray your wheels with the cleaner and carry on washing the rest of your car while the cleaner is left to soak into the wheels.

Without spending further cash, you can carry on using your Z2 Pro on your wheels as well which will keep them well protected.

Regards
EliteDetailer

Audi Happy
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks elite detailer i appreciate the advice, the cars now had 3 coats of the Z2 and looks fantastic, the water just runs off. :-)