PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Radio not working - looped connection to hands-free kit?

fraser33
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with a 'looped' connection between with the Nokia hands-free kit in my '02 Passat TDi and the gamma radio which had been working fine till the other night.

Got into the car last night andmy mobile already had the bluetooth activated. Normally, when I turn on the ignition, it would automatically pair with the hands-free kit. This time however, the display on the radio kept indicating 'TP Phone'. After a few seconds, this would usually disappear and the radio/cd whatever would continue to play. Unfortunately, it seems to have got locked into a loop, whereby it is constantly trying to pair. As a result, the radio does not work at all ie no sound plays from whichever source is selected, it always shows the 'TP Phone' message.

I've tired all the obvious things I can think of, such as switching the radio off, 'un-pairing from all devices', switching off the phone's bluetooth etc etc.

The car was bought with the kit already installed, and I don't have the code for the radio, although I could get this form a dealer if required.

Not that I know how just yet, but I'm wondering if I should disconnect the radio (disconnect the battery I assume?) and see if that resets the radio/hands-free kit.

Any suggestions out there please?

Cheers

Fraser

PS the only thing I did which was unusual this time was instead of double-pressing the open/alarm deactivate button on the fob, (when I was trying to get into the car) I accidentally pressed the 'lock' one, when the car was already locked. Could this have triggered some sort of malfunction?:(

snapdragon
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't think bluetooth has anything to do with it. The radio is getting a telemute signal from the Nokia handsfree kit (which is just a wire getting grounded or 12v - not sure which). Try disconnecting the permanent power to the car kit or disconnecting the car battery. It sounds like the car kit has go stuck. Other than that, you would have to disconnect the car kit from the radio and check the wiring to be sure which device is at fault.

Does your kit use an external Nokia speaker, or is it wired into the radio such that the sound comes from the car speakers?

fraser33
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for this. The h/f kit is routed through the radio speakers, not a separate speaker. I'll first need to locate the kit, as I'm not exactly sure where it is!

Any idea if you can just phone a dealer with the chassis number to get the radio unlock code, as I'll need that if i disconnect the battery?

richard@thebrae
03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I dont think they will give it to you over the phone unless they really know you. If you visit to obtain it ensure you have ID and the papers for the car.
They try to ensure the code for stolen radios is difficult to obtain.
Once you get the code, pull fuse 37 as this supplies the radio and more than likely the car kit. (It will save other elecs. being disturbed).
If that does not work check the pass through block connecters and radio connections.
Location of the car kit is likely to be tucked behind the radio, on the left hand side right at the end of the transmission tunnel, or even above the passenger feet area behind the kick panel/trim.
A post on here a couple of weeks ago for the same fault seemed to be cured by cutting the power and restoring.
Regards Richard

fraser33
04-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Richard, the dealer's not too far away so I'll go in person and get the code at the w/e.

Sorry to ask yet more qu.s but is the kit normally installed by removing the interior trim or by withdrawing the radio (etc) units - I'm hoping the former! Thanks for the heads-up about the other post. I'll have another look for tiups there too.

Cheers

F

richard@thebrae
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Pull the radio 1st (ask the dealer to release it for you) as they may have simply tucked it behind the radio down the passenger side, (there is a good bit of space there) or, they may have pushed the wires up towards the radio from the passenger foot well up by the transmission tunnel, and then shoved the black box up behind the trim.
The trim there is easy to flex so stick your hand in and see if there is anything stuffed up there. (Ihave had hands free kits fitted to passats in the past and this is where they always fitted them).
The black box will have a power supply (normally tapped of the radio feeds) and pass through connectors for the speaker feeds (if you are tapped into the car radio speakers) and the mute signal to quiet the radio during phone ops. or a lead to a dedicated speaker otherwiseand the mic.
I fitted a Parrot bluetooth system to my current passat and that is the only space I could find to hide the bits except for the display which I mounted on the transmission trim.

fraser33
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks again for this, but the advice now seems unnecessary. The problem seems to have cured itself without any action on my part. A couple of days ago, I got into the car which had been sitting unused for most of the week and the radio display was back to normal. Radio and hands-free kit both working fine once more! :biglaugh: Very strange.

Cheers for all the advice though.

F