PDA

View Full Version : a6 quattro avant estate towbar question

kirky944
02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
hi folks new to the forum and have a towbar question i have what looks like a factory fitted towbar tucked in behind my back bumper the electric hookup pulls down from under the bumper but to the right of that it looks like the fitting is there but i have no towball from what i can see it is a removable towbar swan like type but i dont have the part that can be removed can anyone give me some help on where to buy the swan like type towball thanx folks

kite
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
The detachable ball lives in the spare wheel well, is it not there.
Dealer would be the best place to get one.

kirky944
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
i have a lpg tank in the spare wheel well i cant see it being under it thanx

wacky77
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi there, I'm pretty sure audi factory fit westfalia detatchable towbars, which is also what I've fitted myself to mine. Flip down socket to the left of centre, and a central vertical tube with two triangular notches cut into the bottom left and right of said tube hidden behind the bumper centre. If you can look straight up the tube there should be a circular internal groove similar to a circlip groove which the towball locks into with three ball bearings, similar to an airline connector.
Hope this helps, if you're still unsure and anywhere near Dewsbury West Yorks or Grimsby North Lincs your welcome to see if my towbar fits your car to confirm its the westfalia type.

kirky944
10-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi there, I'm pretty sure audi factory fit westfalia detatchable towbars, which is also what I've fitted myself to mine. Flip down socket to the left of centre, and a central vertical tube with two triangular notches cut into the bottom left and right of said tube hidden behind the bumper centre. If you can look straight up the tube there should be a circular internal groove similar to a circlip groove which the towball locks into with three ball bearings, similar to an airline connector.
Hope this helps, if you're still unsure and anywhere near Dewsbury West Yorks or Grimsby North Lincs your welcome to see if my towbar fits your car to confirm its the westfalia type.
hi m8 that sounds familiar it is a westfalia 1 i can get 1 from a 02 model avant for £40+delivery second hand but unsure if it will fit

wacky77
10-11-2008, 04:15 PM
well like I said your welcome to try mine if your local, failing that go to your audi dealers and ask them if you can try the attatchment from one of their showroom models

andythechief
21-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I've got one fitted to my 52 plate quattro sport too. I'm in North Devon.

Andy

kite
22-11-2008, 03:45 PM
hi folks new to the forum and have a towbar question i have what looks like a factory fitted towbar tucked in behind my back bumper the electric hookup pulls down from under the bumper but to the right of that it looks like the fitting is there but i have no towball from what i can see it is a removable towbar swan like type but i dont have the part that can be removed can anyone give me some help on where to buy the swan like type towball thanx folks

Looks like one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A6-ALLOY-DETACHABLE-TOW-BAR-AND-KEY-GENUINE-PART_W0QQitemZ270306726160QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270306726160&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318