PDA

View Full Version : revs and idel speed problems

Hawk
20-10-2005, 09:52 AM
hi all

i have a problem with my audi A3 1.6 1998 .

she starts fine warm or cold but when i,m driving sometimes on pull off at traffic lights it seems that there is no power i quickly put my foot on the accelerator and every things not to bad also i have a problem with the idel speed it bounces from around 800-2000,will calm down after a while but will start up again if i stop at junctions or traffic lights it gets worse when i turn on the air con or turn it off
and at about 5100 rpm thers is no power and the rev counter bounces again between 4500-6000 .

i think this might be a air/ petrol mixture problem .

this all started after my water pump went on the motorway.a m8 of mein replaced the water pump and belt and belt tenstioner .
while he was doing this he removed the battery not shure if this was the problem .

any help would be Apreciated

steve

AudiSport
24-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes I have the same problem, my girlfrinds 1998 1.6 A3 revs dip up and down when on idel, and I'm sure I can feel her (the car that is, not my girlfriend) splutter when driving along..

Any thoughts anyone. Please!

Thanks.

RJS_90q
25-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds similar to a problem we had with an A3 that my girlfriend owned. The garage gave us various diagnosis based on the error codes ranging from lambda sensor to airflow meter. We fitted a secondhand airflow meter and a new lambda sensor and this fixed the problem on our car.

I think you need to have the diagnostic codes downloaded and take it from there. I'm sure other forum members will be able to advise the way to find the error codes.

Hope that this helps

AudiSport
29-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that, I've noticed the problem doesn't happen when starting from cold - choke on I guess?

What are the above mentioned items like to fit?

J.