PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake light warning on OEM electrics

LeFrog
01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
On my Passat B6 Estate I fitted an OEM westfalia detachable towbar with full OEM electrics (Not for the faint hearted!!!) It has all worked perfectly (for 8 months) until today when I picked up my new Lunar Caravan. All the lights work OK but the bulb failure detection circuitry (BFDC) on the car is saying the Brake lights are not working when they obviously are.

I believe this is probably down to the fact that the new van has LED brake lights and not enough current is being drawn to confirm to the BFDC that the brake lights are working.

Does anyone know if there is a modification available, perhaps using VAGCOM which I have. (I will also post this on the VAGCOM forum just in case). :1zhelp:

STEWY L
01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
if you are sure that that is the cause,and if you don't get a more sensible answer,
can you not just stick a resistor in the caravan circuit?
i assume that this problem only occurs when towing?

LeFrog
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
if you are sure that that is the cause,and if you don't get a more sensible answer,
can you not just stick a resistor in the caravan circuit?
i assume that this problem only occurs when towing?
Thanks for your idea but not sure it will work, as adding a resistor in series with the brake light circuit would actually reduce the current even further than it is (which I think is the problem). I had wondered about adding a conventional bulb to the circuit (this would be in parallel so would increase current flow) but as this is my first ever new van I'm not sure I want to start 'playing' with the wiring!
Having said that if I can't get a good answer I might just have to.
Thanks again, Paul

STEWY L
01-11-2008, 09:52 PM
if a bulb is not a resistance,what is?

davidfbmw
01-11-2008, 09:55 PM
you are right in that it is the led lights as i drive lorries with the same problem with led lights,no probs with other trailers