PDA

View Full Version : Owner to be

Veedurb
31-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to buy myself an Octavia Estate with a maximum budget of £5k as I recently had to let my beloved Transporter T5 174 go to pastures new. I don't know much about Octavias and so am doing some intel gathering. I'm away overseas until December and my internet connection is very slow so I want to avoid spending ages trawling through the forum for info (it has taken 15 minutes just to get to the posting page...).

I would like to know what is the best engine/model to go for for economy with maximum comfort/options; what are the major mechanical snags and points to look for when buying; any major issues I should be aware of and finally any useful information?

If these points have been covered before, as I very much think they will have, if someone could be kind enough to post the links to save me crying over the slowness I would appreciate it.

Many thanks!

paul b
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I too have recently joined the Octavia family.

I recommend an Octavia 1.9 TDI PD130. The PD130 engine is common in the A4, A6, Golf and Passat but is a bit harder to find in a Skoda. The 110bhp versions are more common in Octavias. Because the PD130 is common in all those other cars, the common problems are pretty much the same too.

From a PD130 you can expect 46mpg with the climate control on, on a good mix of urban and rural driving.

EDIT: As for common problems, there are things like the alternator pulley bearing, to test for this turn the steering to full lock while stationary and listen for a screeching/clattering noise. It is common on the majority of TDIs. Otherwise there is the blocked drain holes, just check all the electrics work etc.

Paul

Veedurb
08-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep the mechanical bits in mind. My Girlfiend has a 53 plate A4 130 so I guess that will be the same lump!?!

The best I could get from the T5 was 36mpg on a long haul at 70mph so 46 on combined is way better. The majority of my miles will be cruising the dual on the work commute so it'll pay off!

I see you have a ??? face next to your T5, why so? Have you visited the Brick-yard van forum (link below) yet?

JC

Crasher
08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
My 2003 VRS is the best car I have ever bought. Came to me with a blown engine, a common problem with the 1.8T if oil changes are neglected and cost me £5k in parts to put right, no labour, no profit and no VAT so be very wary if you go for a VRS. Great car though and the pick of the bunch. My friend bought a 110 TDI L&K brand new in 2002 and loves it, it has been very reliable. One distressing feature of the Octavia 1 estate is corrosion of the tailgate below the glass and around the hatch handle corners, just had mine done and trade it cost me £140 with me striping the lower area back to steel and doing all the disassembly/re-assembly except removing/refitting the glass so budget £400 for a professional job.

paul b
08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
My 2003 VRS is the best car I have ever bought. Came to me with a blown engine, a common problem with the 1.8T if oil changes are neglected and cost me £5k in parts to put right, no labour, no profit and no VAT so be very wary if you go for a VRS. Great car though and the pick of the bunch. My friend bought a 110 TDI L&K brand new in 2002 and loves it, it has been very reliable. One distressing feature of the Octavia 1 estate is corrosion of the tailgate below the glass and around the hatch handle corners, just had mine done and trade it cost me £140 with me striping the lower area back to steel and doing all the disassembly/re-assembly except removing/refitting the glass so budget £400 for a professional job.

Wow Crasher, you spent £5k on your Octavia! Was it the dreaded 'oil sludging' issue? Or a hell of a lot more?

Paul,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep the mechanical bits in mind. My Girlfiend has a 53 plate A4 130 so I guess that will be the same lump!?!

The best I could get from the T5 was 36mpg on a long haul at 70mph so 46 on combined is way better. The majority of my miles will be cruising the dual on the work commute so it'll pay off!

I see you have a ??? face next to your T5, why so? Have you visited the Brick-yard van forum (link below) yet?

JC
Erm there are two types of PD130 engine, one with a 5 speed box and one with a 6 speed box. If it is a 5 speed it is an AWX like my A6, if its a 6 speed its got a different code. But yes they should be identical to the PD130s in the A4/A6/Passat models. The PD130 has to be the best diesel engine I've ever driven, and in the A6 it has to be the best car I can use everyday that I've ever owned.

And no I've not been on the brick yard forum, the VWAF is the only one I'm on. I suppose I should sign up to the brick yard one, as the Commercial Vehicles section on here is a bit slow. But it's picking up. :)

The :confused: face is about the colour... "grey white"... hmm I bet you see my point. :p

Paul

Crasher
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow Crasher, you spent £5k on your Octavia! Was it the dreaded 'oil sludging' issue? Or a hell of a lot more?Yes it was sludge, 35K miles without an oil change does tend to upset ones oil. The oil filter was a rusty but a genuine VAG part, I recon it was on its third oil change at 121K miles, complete madness! 1K miles before, he had booked it in for a service but at 500 miles left on the service indicator it let go. A genuine VAG exchange full engine, turbo and LUK clutch plus AMM, N75, 4 tyres, front bumper (painted) and numerous bits and bobs had it back in my care and now it gets Longlife 3 every 5K plus much TLC. If you think that is how much it cost ME then think about how much it would cost a customer? I have spent around £7k on it now just on sorting it out at COST but I love the car.

Erm there are two types of PD130 engine, one with a 5 speed box and one with a 6 speed box.
The AWF and AWX engines are absolutely identical with not one single component difference between the two. What is different is the ECU mapping and the gearbox, nothing else.

mluton
08-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

paul b
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes it was sludge, 35K miles without an oil change does tend to upset ones oil. The oil filter was a rusty but a genuine VAG part, I recon it was on its third oil change at 121K miles, complete madness! 1K miles before, he had booked it in for a service but at 500 miles left on the service indicator it let go. A genuine VAG exchange full engine, turbo and LUK clutch plus AMM, N75, 4 tyres, front bumper (painted) and numerous bits and bobs had it back in my care and now it gets Longlife 3 every 5K plus much TLC. If you think that is how much it cost ME then think about how much it would cost a customer? I have spent around £7k on it now just on sorting it out at COST but I love the car.

The AWF and AWX engines are absolutely identical with not one single component difference between the two. What is different is the ECU mapping and the gearbox, nothing else.
Wowee! 35k with no oil change! :aargh4: What on earth were they doing! :mad: There is skimping on services and then there is total neglect... I bet the poor Octavia loves you now! Hope it keeps repaying your faith. :beerchug:

It's probably not worth £7k with all those miles, but its a case of better the devil you know. I'm guessing you've got the version with all the kit, leather etc? :D I must say the black and white contrasting leather seats I see in Occy VRS's look absolutely gorgeous. :approve:

Point taken on the AWF and AWX... I suppose the AWF is the better one as I believe it can be re-mapped to an extra 15Nm of torque? But then again I'm not bothered as mine isn't re-mapped anyway. ;)

Paul

Crasher
09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
It has the ½ leather as in all VRS’s and the factory colour nav (not working at the moment, internal data bus error) but the cars market value doesn’t bother me, it’s how much I enjoy it that maters.

The AVF can’t be reprogramed to give more power and /or torque than an AWX as there is absolutely no difference between the two engines in any way whatsoever, no matter what any chip tuner tells you. The only difference between the two engines from the factory is mapping of the ECU, every single last component on both engines is absolutely identical from head, cam, block, pistons, crank, turbo, intercooler, injectors, AMM, wiring harness etc etc. The only physical difference between the two installations is one has a 5 speed box and the other a 6 speed with a 228-mm clutch on the AWX and a 240-mm clutch on the AVF.

paul b
09-11-2008, 12:28 AM
It has the ½ leather as in all VRS’s and the factory colour nav (not working at the moment, internal data bus error) but the cars market value doesn’t bother me, it’s how much I enjoy it that maters.

The AVF can’t be reprogramed to give more power and /or torque than an AWX as there is absolutely no difference between the two engines in any way whatsoever, no matter what any chip tuner tells you. The only difference between the two engines from the factory is mapping of the ECU, every single last component on both engines is absolutely identical from head, cam, block, pistons, crank, turbo, intercooler, injectors, AMM, wiring harness etc etc. The only physical difference between the two installations is one has a 5 speed box and the other a 6 speed with a 228-mm clutch on the AWX and a 240-mm clutch on the AVF.
Crasher I officially have envy of that interior! :Blush2:

Saw one of those interiors for sale on e-bay at £350... well if the car was for me and not for my son I might have bought it. :p

The wife mentioned swapping the A6 for an Occy VRS... hmm... thanks wifey! :banghead:

At least I now know if the A6 developed a terminal problem overnight then I wouldn't be restricted to an AWX engine only. :D Maybe one day someone should get onto these tuning guys and put them right, seen as they're identical, there should be no reason for one to be able to produce more torque than the other.

Think I'd be rich if I had a quid for every engine code VAG produced. ;)

Paul

Crasher
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Maybe one day someone should get onto these tuning guys and put them right, seen as they're identical, there should be no reason for one to be able to produce more torque than the other.

No I don’t understand it either but I’m not a software developer and maybe I am missing something but on purely physical grounds there is nothing to explain it.

Think I'd be rich if I had a quid for every engine code VAG produced.

By my reckoning, without the few Seat and Skoda codes not used by VW and Audi, you would be in for a “Windfall” of £899!

This list is for all the VW and Audi codes both car, commercial, industrial and marine that I can find.

1B
1C
1E
1F
1G
1P
1S
1T
1V
1W
1X
1Y
1Z
22R
28B
2B
2E
2G
2H
2L
2Y
3A
3B
3D
3F
4A
4B
4Y
68A
68C
68D
6A
7A
7B
9A
AAA
AAB
AAC
AAD
AAE
AAF
AAH
AAK
AAM
AAN
AAR
AAS
AAT
AAU
AAV
AAZ
AB
ABA
ABB
ABC
ABD
ABF
ABH
ABK
ABL
ABM
ABN
ABP
ABS
ABT
ABU
ABV
ABX
ABY
ABZ
ACB
ACC
ACD
ACE
ACK
ACL
ACM
ACP
ACT
ACU
ACV
ACX
ACZ
ADA
ADC
ADD
ADE
ADF
ADG
ADK
ADP
ADR
ADU
ADW
ADX
ADY
ADZ
AEA
AEB
AEC
AEE
AEF
AEG
AEH
AEJ
AEK
AEL
AEM
AEN
AEP
AER
AES
AET
AEU
AEV
AEW
AEX
AEY
AF
AFB
AFC
AFD
AFF
AFH
AFK
AFM
AFN
AFP
AFT
AFY
AG
AGA
AGB
AGD
AGG
AGH
AGK
AGL
AGN
AGP
AGR
AGU
AGX
AGZ
AHA
AHB
AHC
AHD
AHF
AHG
AHH
AHK
AHL
AHS
AHT
AHU
AHW
AHY
AJ
AJA
AJG
AJH
AJK
AJL
AJM
AJP
AJQ
AJS
AJT
AJV
AKC
AKE
AKF
AKG
AKH
AKJ
AKK
AKL
AKN
AKP
AKQ
AKR
AKS
AKU
AKW
AL
ALD
ALE
ALF
ALG
ALH
ALL
ALM
ALT
ALW
ALZ
AM
AMB
AMF
AMK
AML
AMM
AMV
AMX
AMY
AN
ANA
ANB
ANC
ANF
ANG
ANH
ANJ
ANK
ANN
ANP
ANU
ANV
ANW
ANX
ANY
AP
APA
APB
APC
APE
APF
APG
APH
APK
APL
APP
APQ
APR
APS
APT
APU
APX
APY
APZ
AQA
AQD
AQE
AQF
AQG
AQH
AQJ
AQM
AQN
AQP
AQQ
AQY
AR
ARC
ARD
ARE
ARG
ARH
ARJ
ARK
ARL
ARM
ARN
ARR
ARS
ARU
ARX
ARY
ARZ
AS
ASB
ASE
ASG
ASJ
ASM
ASN
ASU
ASV
ASX
ASY
ASZ
AT
ATA
ATD
ATE
ATJ
ATL
ATM
ATN
ATQ
ATU
ATX
AUA
AUB
AUC
AUD
AUE
AUF
AUH
AUK
AUL
AUM
AUQ
AUR
AUS
AUW
AUY
AUZ
AVA
AVB
AVC
AVF
AVG
AVH
AVJ
AVK
AVM
AVP
AVQ
AVR
AVT
AVU
AVV
AVY
AW
AWA
AWC
AWD
AWF
AWG
AWH
AWM
AWP
AWT
AWU
AWV
AWW
AWX
AWY
AXA
AXB
AXC
AXD
AXE
AXG
AXJ
AXL
AXP
AXQ
AXR
AXU
AXW
AXX
AXZ
AYC
AYD
AYH
AYL
AYM
AYQ
AYS
AYT
AYY
AYZ
AZA
AZB
AZC
AZD
AZG
AZH
AZJ
AZM
AZQ
AZR
AZV
AZZ
B
BAA
BAC
BAD
BAG
BAM
BAN
BAR
BAS
BAT
BAU
BAY
BBE
BBF
BBG
BBJ
BBK
BBM
BBR
BBU
BBW
BBY
BBZ
BCA
BCB
BCD
BCQ
BCS
BCT
BCU
BCV
BCY
BCZ
BDB
BDC
BDE
BDF
BDG
BDH
BDJ
BDK
BDL
BDN
BDP
BDV
BDW
BDX
BEF
BEH
BEJ
BEK
BEQ
BER
BES
BEU
BEV
BEW
BEX
BFB
BFC
BFH
BFL
BFM
BFQ
BFS
BFV
BGB
BGD
BGH
BGJ
BGL
BGM
BGP
BGQ
BGU
BGW
BHC
BHE
BHF
BHK
BHL
BHP
BHT
BHW
BHZ
BJB
BJC
BJJ
BJK
BJL
BJM
BJN
BJX
BKC
BKD
BKE
BKF
BKG
BKH
BKJ
BKK
BKL
BKN
BKP
BKS
BKY
BLB
BLE
BLF
BLG
BLJ
BLK
BLN
BLP
BLR
BLS
BLT
BLV
BLX
BLY
BMA
BMB
BMC
BMD
BME
BMF
BMJ
BMK
BML
BMM
BMN
BMP
BMR
BMS
BMT
BMV
BMX
BMY
BNA
BNG
BNM
BNS
BNU
BNV
BNZ
BPC
BPD
BPE
BPF
BPG
BPJ
BPK
BPP
BPR
BPS
BPW
BPY
BRB
BRC
BRD
BRE
BRF
BRJ
BRK
BRM
BRN
BRR
BRS
BRT
BRU
BRV
BSB
BSE
BSF
BSG
BSM
BSP
BST
BSU
BSW
BSX
BTB
BTE
BTK
BTR
BTS
BTT
BTW
BUB
BUD
BUG
BUL
BUN
BUY
BUZ
BVA
BVB
BVE
BVF
BVG
BVH
BVJ
BVK
BVN
BVP
BVR
BVY
BVZ
BWA
BWB
BWE
BWF
BWK
BWS
BWT
BWV
BXA
BXE
BXF
BXJ
BXT
BYD
BYH
BYK
BYT
BYU
BZB
BZC
BZG
CA
CABA
CABB
CABD
CAFA
CAGA
CAGB
CAHA
CAHB
CALA
CAMA
CAMB
CAPA
CARA
CASA
CASB
CASC
CAUA
CAWA
CAWB
CAXA
CAXC
CB
CBAA
CBAB
CBBA
CBBB
CBFA
CBHA
CBJB
CBK
CBKA
CBPA
CBRA
CBS
CBTA
CBUA
CBWA
CCCA
CCGA
CCSA
CCTA
CCTB
CCWA
CDHA
CDHB
CDNB
CDNC
CG
CH
CJ
CK
CN
CP
CR
CS
CT
CU
CV
CY
D
DA
DB
DC
DD
DE
DF
DG
DH
DJ
DL
DR
DS
DT
DTA
DV
DW
DX
DZ
EA
EC
ED
EE
EF
EG
EH
EJ
EM
EN
EP
EU
EV
EW
EWA
EX
EZ
EZA
FA
FD
FH
FJ
FK
FN
FP
FR
FS
FT
FV
FY
FZ
GD
GE
GF
GG
GH
GK
GL
GN
GS
GT
GU
GV
GW
GX
GZ
H
HA
HB
HC
HD
HE
HH
HJ
HK
HM
HN
HP
HT
HV
HW
HX
HY
HZ
JB
JH
JJ
JK
JL
JN
JP
JR
JS
JT
JU
JV
JW
JX
JY
K
KE
KF
KG
KH
KJ
KK
KL
KM
KP
KR
KT
KU
KV
KW
KX
KY
KZ
M
MB
MC
ME
MF
MG
MH
MU
MV
NC
NE
NF
NG
NM
NP
NU
NW
NX
NZ
P
PA
PB
PD
PF
PG
PH
PL
PM
PN
PP
PR
PS
PT
PV
PX
PY
RA
RD
RE
RF
RH
RL
RM
RN
RP
RR
RS
RT
RU
RV
SA
SB
SD
SE
SF
SH
SK
SL
SP
SR
SS
T
U
W
WA
WB
WC
WE
WG
WH
WJ
WK
WL
WN
WP
WR
WS
WT
WU
WV
WX
WY
WZ
X
XX
YG
YH
YJ
YK
YN
YP
YS
YT
YV
YX
YY
YZ
ZA
ZB
ZC
ZF

paul b
09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
<Swear>!

Tell me you didn't have to type all of those in! :biglaugh:

902... jeez!

Paul

(P.S: Got a VRS exhaust for the Octavia, will try and fit it later on... with a bit of luck it will all be okay. Still need to do something with the bumper though.)

Crasher
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, sort of. A bit of a mixture of cut and paste plus checking. 899 though, I duplicated a couple or three.

Get the hacksaw blade out. Drill holes in the shape required and cut between the holes.

greg123
09-11-2008, 07:33 PM
True it's common on post 2000 estates due to a manufacturing defect, however it's covered under Skoda's body warranty. Tons of threads on it on Briskoda, I just had my L&K tailgate totally stripped and painted, new badges by skoda completely free under warranty - they know about the issue. Done by the Skoda bodyshop in Nottingham and looks like a factory brand new tailgate.

The only time I'd be worried is if someone has tried to paint/touch it up without realising it's under warranty, as they may then not want to touch something that has been messed with. The places to look is right next to the lower edge of the rear window and round the plastic lock/handle surround, which can move and rub thus rusting the metal round it's edges.

IMHO, Greg.

One distressing feature of the Octavia 1 estate is corrosion of the tailgate below the glass and around the hatch handle corners, just had mine done and trade it cost me £140 with me striping the lower area back to steel and doing all the disassembly/re-assembly except removing/refitting the glass so budget £400 for a professional job.

Crasher
10-11-2008, 11:46 AM
They probably would not have done mine as I tried to touch it up first and it had already been painted before I bought it, there was also rust under the glass on mine as the window had been installed too low. Now the glass is higher up so it does not rub the paint. My friend had his L&K done by Nottingham VW (it took them three attempts before they got it right) on instruction from Skoda and it is going again, it is a design fault with the number plate light support, it digs into the paint. I have used some 5-mm non setting mastic rope (genuine) to hold the trim away so the plastic doesn’t fret the paint.

greg123
10-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes I remember looking at yours when I was round there to see you, shame but agreed after it's been painted they wouldn't touch it. Bad story re VW, Farmers Skoda that did mine made a perfect job of the tailgate BUT they left my freshly valeted boot full of rust/sealant/paint grindings from the grinder, absolutely covered it was disgusting. Had to get the manager out and even then after they tried to valet it they still didn't get all the bits out. That's a major dealer, I wouldn't dream of returning a car to a customer like that! However, I paid £0 and the tailgate is literally like new, so I'm happy.

Agreed that if any doubt it's a good idea to do what you did with non-setting mastic, or some light bonding agent that's semi structural. I know of a couple of guys who cut out a thin rubber gasket which did the job as well. Whatever floats the boat to stop it rubbing I guess.

BTW congrats on reaching over 9,000 posts - don't know how you do it :D I barely get time to keep up with some of the octy forums!

Greg.

They probably would not have done mine as I tried to touch it up first and it had already been painted before I bought it, there was also rust under the glass on mine as the window had been installed too low. Now the glass is higher up so it does not rub the paint. My friend had his L&K done by Nottingham VW (it took them three attempts before they got it right) on instruction from Skoda and it is going again, it is a design fault with the number plate light support, it digs into the paint. I have used some 5-mm non setting mastic rope (genuine) to hold the trim away so the plastic doesn’t fret the paint.

Crasher
10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
BTW congrats on reaching over 9,000 posts - don't know how you do it :D I barely get time to keep up with some of the octy forums!Greg.

I am the original post whore!

Veedurb
11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. At what year did they introduce 6 cogs and is it only above a certain model that can get it?

I really want a 6 speed as last time I was back in the UK I kept trying to put the hire car into reverse on the motorway... :Blush2:

greg123
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
AFIK only on the PD130, must be post 2003/2004?

Depends what you want to do, the 5 speed in the 110tdi is well spaced and has effortless cruising at pretty low rpm up to 90mph. If you want to have low rpm cruising over 100mph, you'll need the 6-speed. The 6-speed is also nice to use full stop, but you don't see much in it between the two unless you start to go FAST. The 6-speed is much better for tuning, so if you plan to upgrade to 180+bhp it might be better. The 110tdi will chip to around 140+bhp dead easy and the 5-speed will handle that just fine.

The 110tdi running well is a very capable car, effortless cruising at illegal speeds and pulls very well. The deciding factor for me to recomend it to most is that it will clear 10mpg more than the PD. Nearly 50 in general driving is possible in the PD, but I see over 60mpg average from several people on the 110tdi. Getting it down BELOW 50mpg is actually quite hard which given the size/performance is quite something.

IMHO of course. The PD and a 6 speed is quite a swift beast too, so much I worry I'm always belting off too fast in them. VRS's and the like need 4,000rpm before they start to catch up, so unless balls out racing feel slow in comparison (I'm comparing to the 150 and 180 as well as the 180 quattro - all driven recently).

Greg.

Thanks for the advice guys. At what year did they introduce 6 cogs and is it only above a certain model that can get it?

I really want a 6 speed as last time I was back in the UK I kept trying to put the hire car into reverse on the motorway... :Blush2:

pritch
14-03-2012, 01:52 PM
i know its a bit of topic but this forum wont let me post a new thread , i have an octavia tdi with asv engne , wanting to know if it could be changed to agr**** ? if so what would need to be changed or isit a straight swap , cheers

Crasher
14-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Why would you want to do that?

pritch
14-03-2012, 10:21 PM
because i have an asv engine thats u/s and cant get a asv engine now have been told an agr will fit and can get 1 cheaper. ktold they have different turbos an thats all that needs changing would that be correct ?

Crasher
15-03-2012, 12:36 AM
As far as I can tell the only part of the base engine itself that is different are the pistons when purchased from VAG but if you buy the pistons aftermarket they are the same so it will only be a duty issue.

Eshrules
15-03-2012, 09:04 AM
i know its a bit of topic but this forum wont let me post a new thread , i have an octavia tdi with asv engne , wanting to know if it could be changed to agr**** ? if so what would need to be changed or isit a straight swap , cheers

there are sticky posts at the top of the forum, before you browse down to the sub forums - explaining how to post a new thread.

Please don't bump a 4 year old thread that has nothing to do with your issue.