PDA

View Full Version : How can I top up the gearbox fluid on a 130Tdi 6 speed?

alanjf
31-10-2008, 12:00 PM
My car has suddenly started to crunch when changing into 2nd gear. Reading the comments on this forum, it says the best thing to do is to change the fluid.

Does anyone have a diagram of how I can find the filler for the gearbox and the drain plug?

For the moment, I am just going to check the level, top up and see how that goes as the car is due for a service in 2000 miles or so.

Many thanks

Alan
2003 Passat Tdi Sport Estate 6 Speed

sarah14
31-10-2008, 09:27 PM
the drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox its a torx anti tamper bolt, and the filler is up the side of the n/s driveshaft on the differential its a big allan bolt. hope this helps

alanjf
31-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try as I had a snoop around today after 2nd gear stopped functioning completely.

I could see the n/s diff, so I must be close.

Alan

adamss24
31-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try as I had a snoop around today after 2nd gear stopped functioning completely.

I could see the n/s diff, so I must be close.

Alan
I would look into a gearbox rebuild or 2nd hand gearbox as it looks you just destroyed the syncromesh on 2nd gear and no ammount of fresh oil will help. There is a technique wich is called double clutching wich was invented for gearboxes with no syncromeshes on older, crude transmissions...and it means pressing the clutch pedal then put the gearbox in neutral, then press the clutch again and put the gearstick into the lower/higher gear....That should equalize the speeds at wich the lay down shaft and input shaft spins without stripping the gears.

Crasher
31-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I agree with adamss24, no amount of fresh oil will deal with that, 2nd gear syncro is toast and will have to be replaced.

alanjf
03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It does look like I will have to go down the replacement gearbox route. There are plenty on ebay, how much does fitting cost, or can anyone recommend a good place for exchange gearboxes and fitting in South West London?

Thanks, Alan

nazjazz
01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Please Help!
suspecting heavy bill for repairing gear box.
VW, Passat, 130tdi, 6 speed manual, 2001, 100k. The 5th gear makes funny noise. Shhhhhhhh. do i have to change oil? do you have to change oil in manual gear boxes? someone told me that manual gear boxes are sealed by manufacturer and oil shouldn't be changed there. Is it true?
What can i do about that noise? Can it progress in something more serious?

many thanx

naz

alanjf
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Naz, I took my car to an idependent dealer who I know well and they drained the gearbox and filled it with a 'trick oil' as they called it - guess what? 2nd gear was back - although not silent all the time. I suggest you find an good independent and ask them to change the oil, as you need a manufacturer's key to open the filler.

Somewhere in this forum someone mentioned a good replacement oil. Red something or other. Give it a try. If it fails time to go to plan b. Good luck.

paulos130
02-12-2008, 01:03 AM
hi you lot,

guess what, another tdi 130 over here with a semi-toasted gearbox!

Mine is noisy in 5 and 6, but only really when the load is off (if you get my drift) its done 105k, so fair enough, she seems very strong though so doesnt feel like its about to let go

very interested to hear ideas about costs for different routes to fix (i.e. refurb vs exchange unit)

Any help appreciated

lovin the new motor aside from that!

paul

Crasher
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
The oil can be changed if you have the tamper proof key for the drain plug. I recommend 50K change intervals. If the box is noisy, changing the oil will make absolutely no difference; it will have to come out for repair.

nazjazz
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
As far as i understood, gearboxes are not repairable in practice world. people change them, buy new ones, refurbished ones etc. also this is like min £2000 gamble. Why would manual gearbox should go wrong? there is nothing special in it! What might be the cause of the noise on one gear only? What about saying that manual gearboxes shouldn't have oil changed?
The "trick oil" is actually special thick staff that car dealers used to put in old cars, into noisy gearboxes to suppress the noise and quickly sell the car. It works only for few hundred miles and noise comes back again.

Regards,

naz

Crasher
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Manual gearboxes are a practical proposition to repair, why fit a full recon when only a bearing, gear or synchromesh cone has failed? Gearboxes can fail on one gear only, I often have to repair 02J boxes where 1st or 5th has failed and 02K's where 2nd gear syncro has failed, I also do the diff bolts when I am in there. Thick oil to silence a noisy box is an old trick you have to be wary of but some boxes become nosier if thick oil is used.