PDA

View Full Version : passat water leak

shivdent
30-10-2008, 11:57 PM
hi i have a 2001 2l- se passat and i have a slight leak in the radiator( new one on order £75 fitted monday for £40 or £50) is this reasonable?
its ok to drive i suppose as long as i keep an eye on the water level in the expansion tank.

also when i pulled up at work after a sharp frost water was dripping from underneath near to where it usually does for the aircon but to the side of it and it was still dripping for 6 hours it was clear water not sweet tasting like coolant, and i think the aircon is not as cold as it used to be.
will it stop dripping if its the aircon knackered.
my mate said his done it and was an aircon pipe bust.

one more thing... my car keeps locking itself.. no wet carpets apart from the back one when i wash the car,coming in the window, so i dont think water has come in the front like everyone elses..and damaged the electrics. hope not.
thanks john

Crasher
31-10-2008, 12:00 AM
The water dripping at the front is slowly draining from a blocked plenum chamber so the water in the back may well be from water entering the heater intake as it comes out in the rear footwell and shows there first as it is lower.

shivdent
31-10-2008, 12:09 AM
The water dripping at the front is slowly draining from a blocked plenum chamber so the water in the back may well be from water entering the heater intake as it comes out in the rear footwell and shows there first as it is lower.

i have seen the water coming in the back when i sat in a car wash one day, is the plenum chamber where the battery sits

Crasher
31-10-2008, 02:11 PM
is the plenum chamber where the battery sits

Yes

shivdent
02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
thanks crasher the bung hole was blocked with leaves in the plenum chamber. loads of water was lying underneath the battery, took out the battery and fished around and cleared the hole, hope it stops drippng now..

Crasher
02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Holes, plural old boy! I hope you did the one under the servo?

shivdent
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Holes, plural old boy! I hope you did the one under the servo?

there was one in the middle under 2 pipes couldnt see another one.. i will keep an eye on it and see if it gets blocked again.

Crasher
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
There is one under the battery tray and one under the servo.

NickPicks
03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
There is one under the battery tray and one under the servo.

And if you live anywhere within a mile of any trees, they WILL get blocked!

It takes about 15 minutes (and the radio code) to clean them out properly, then make peering down the side of the battery to check for water part of your monthly / weekly checks.

i did find a step by step guide at www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com (http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com), but it appears to be down/gone at the moment.