PDA

View Full Version : Hard ride from rear susp on MK4 Golf

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi all,
I have a 1998 Mk4 GT TDi and it has just developed an extremly hard ride from both sides of the suspension at the rear even over small humps it sounds like the wheel is slamming into the arch. The only obviously signs I have is a yellowly gel which has come out of the bottom right hand shock absorber, but nothing form the left hand side. The way it feels is that there is no damping at the back or maybe a top rubber mount has gone but i'm not sure how the rear suspension is made up. As from my previous post, the car has just passed it's MOT but nothing was picked up. Please help again!! http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi all,
I have a 1998 Mk4 GT TDi and it has just developed an extremly hard ride from both sides of the suspension at the rear even over small humps it sounds like the wheel is slamming into the arch. The only obviously signs I have is a yellowly gel which has come out of the bottom right hand shock absorber, but nothing form the left hand side. The way it feels is that there is no damping at the back or maybe a top rubber mount has gone but i'm not sure how the rear suspension is made up. As from my previous post, the car has just passed it's MOT but nothing was picked up. Please help again!! http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

erm, LOL sorry but it sounds like your shockers have gone mate, your saying theres no dampening and there is yellow gel (hydraulic fluid) leaking from the shocker. i doubt your springs are to blame so more than likely will be the actual dampener that needs replacing. best way to tell, push down on the car, it should 'bounce' once or twice and then settle. if this isnt the case, they need replacing.:beerchug:

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Pushed down on the rear suspension and it bounced once as it should. I still beleive it's the shocks though due to the hard ride but the yellowy stuff is only only on the right hand side but the left side is nearly as bad. is there a way of posting pictures?

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Pushed down on the rear suspension and it bounced once as it should. I still beleive it's the shocks though due to the hard ride but the yellowy stuff is only only on the right hand side but the left side is nearly as bad. is there a way of posting pictures?

yup take your pictures and past them up here or use the attach button at the top near the smiley button and attach your images :)

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Heres a pic of the yellow part, but prodding it about a bit it just feels like the bellow part has broken down somehow. Really no sure where to go from here.

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Heres a pic of the yellow part, but prodding it about a bit it just feels like the bellow part has broken down somehow. Really no sure where to go from here.

Yesh, that looks liek a knackerd shcoker to me mate, they can become faulty and leak without being too bouncy if you get me.... my brava did the same, one leaked like buggery and didnt bounce, one bounced like buggery and didnt leak! looking at the state of that, id haev it replcaced mate :beerchug:

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Nice one thanks for the response! Will keep you posted.

jrwilshire2003
12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Resolved by new rear axle bushes.