PDA

View Full Version : Rattle/Knocking from Front Susp on MK4 Golf

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi,
Hope someone can help as I am running out of ideas on this one. I have a Mk4 4 GT TDi golf on a 1998 plate. I have a knocking/ rattle coming front both the front wheels even over the smallest shallow bumps in the road it will knock/rattle once as it goes up into the arch. It has just passed it's MOT a couple of days ago and it didn't pick anything up but it sounds like something is really loose. I did get an advisory on my MOT saying that both front suspension had top strut bushes had slight play, would this cause the amount of knocking i get from the suspension? Have had all the usual problem bushes checked anti roll bar etc but these are all fine. Please help!

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi,
Hope someone can help as I am running out of ideas on this one. I have a Mk4 4 GT TDi golf on a 1998 plate. I have a knocking/ rattle coming front both the front wheels even over the smallest shallow bumps in the road it will knock/rattle once as it goes up into the arch. It has just passed it's MOT a couple of days ago and it didn't pick anything up but it sounds like something is really loose. I did get an advisory on my MOT saying that both front suspension had top strut bushes had slight play, would this cause the amount of knocking i get from the suspension? Have had all the usual problem bushes checked anti roll bar etc but these are all fine. Please help!

and what about the front suspension bushes? although the front anti roll bar bushes may be fine, the suspension bushes may not be, ive had to replace these and new wishbones are on the way... the fault you describe leads to the bushes, other than your shockers of course but if its just had an mot i doubt these have failed. first thing id do is test either side, push down on the car and allow it to settle, it shouldnt bounce more than once or twice before coming to rest. if it does, the shockers are knackerd. if it doesnt, its going to be a bush... i wasnt actually sure you could asess the condition of a bush, especially the anti roll bar and suspension, by simply looking at them? might need a techies input on that one .... :beerchug:

S2AVANT
12-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Anti-roll bar drop links
see my post on the A3 forum. ;)

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Anti-roll bar drop links
see my post on the A3 forum. ;)

come on you amateur LOL provide the link LOL :beerchug:

jrwilshire2003
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, Just pushed on the front suspension and it only bounces once as it should. Are the suspension bushes the ones I mentioned the top stut ones? We Jacked the car up and moved the suspension up and down on the anti-roll bar end with the bushes and there was no play in them what so ever so I'm guessing it is the top mount bushes? am I right? Thanks again :)

Col
12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
I still think it will be the inner ARB bushes.

Checking them is next to useless at it is almost impossible to replicate the forces that cause the knock.

VW have revised the bushes on the MK4 Golf to items with a centre groove, the older type were flat on the ARB. They'll cost you with the modded grooved carrier brackets about £20 all in.

A very easy DIY fix as well, just make sure you have some long, long nosed pliers to pull the bush clamp down so you can start the bolt in the subframe.

Start with these inner ARB bushes which I'm certain will be your problem. Then go for the ARB outer drop links and only then consider the top moun rubbers and bearings.

jrwilshire2003
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Indeed it was the anti-roll bar bushes.

Helloern
24-03-2015, 08:21 PM
I have a 1999 Mk4 Golf Tdi, and have had a rattle difficult to locate. Today after noticing a slight difference in clearance between the front wheel arches and tyres, I took off drivers side front wheel and discovered the half coil broken from bottom of spring loose in the spring seat. It had made a curious sound when turning on full lock our of driveway, and rattled on small road bumps. I suspect the numerous potholes on roads the cause of broken spring.

Helloern

Helloern
14-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Hi, it's me again (Helloern). I replaced the spring, which stopped the rattle and sound on turning, but there was still a metallic rattling sound when travelling over a rough patch of road. I jacked up the r/h front removed the wheel thumped everything with my hand, and produced a knocking from the lower intercooler bolt fixing. I removed the 10mm bolt and the short sleeve it went through to the bracket. The hole in the bracket and the sleeve had some wear clearance. I made a slightly larger sleeve, tapered the end where it went into the bracket making it a tight fit, bolted it, road tested,......... and no rattle!

Helloern

micheal balbrig
14-04-2015, 09:12 PM
It may return,but hope it stays away