PDA

View Full Version : Question Nav query

A1287210
29-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi, I am one of these people who cannot wait for the delivery of his new B8 company car, and have been reading these threads with great interest. I have heard on the grape vine that the NAV will NOT have full UK post code recognition. :aargh4:

Please can someone tell me that this is not true as £2000 is a high premium to pay for something my £130 TOM TOM can do with ease.....

interbear
29-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I understand from other threads on here that the Audi sat nav only provides for 5 digit post-codes, so I think that your concern is valid. Unless perhaps there is a software upgrade to deal with it. I'm also waiting for a new A4 but invested in a new Tom Tom rather than pay the £2,000.

andyrp
29-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I understand from other threads on here that the Audi sat nav only provides for 5 digit post-codes, so I think that your concern is valid. Unless perhaps there is a software upgrade to deal with it. I'm also waiting for a new A4 but invested in a new Tom Tom rather than pay the £2,000.

I don't get why people would pay to have Sat Nav as an option in a company car. £2000 for the option, take (for example) 20% of that as the BIK giving £400 per annum BIK and then tax that at 40% gives an additional tax burden of £160 a year. I know having the Sat Nav installed is the neatest option but for company car drivers it does seem expensive unless there is some fiddle you can apply.

tribester
29-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm a happy B8 owner (bought s/h from Vindis in Cambs six weeks ago with 5k miles on the clock). It has the colour MMI system and yes you're right - only 5-digit postcode recognition.

But don't despair - just wait til you get it and start to play with the MMI. It is AWESOME. The integration of radio, CD (plus iPod), phone (I have phone prep low), all the other controls etc etc is brilliant. And the controls are much easier than the pesky iDrive.

My dealer also tells me that the upgrade disk is due out next spring and will probably include full postcode.

You'll enjoy it...

Issac Hunt
29-10-2008, 11:06 PM
My dealer also tells me that the upgrade disk is due out next spring and will probably include full postcode.

Ho ho ho! I will be very surprised if that happens. They only support 5 digit postcodes as German postcodes are only 5 digits long. I'd be amazed if they bother to modify the MMI only for the british market!

A1287210
31-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Luckily some of us are still in the 20% tax bracket, but I understand where you are coming from. There were a couple of reasons why I plumbed for the installed Sat Nav as I have been using Tom Toms for the last 4-5 years:

1) What a faf! - Getting the Tom Tom out, waiting for it to power up, trying to find the plunger to fit it on the windscreen, but you moved it cos it wont fit in your glove box or arm rest, (as these seem to be getting smaller and smaller, and of course full of gloves) Then it wont stick to the window, which leaves a mark and then thieves know you have a SAT NAV unit so you have to clean the inside of your window to get rid of the marks, then it runs out of power, so you need to attach a lead to cigarette lighters, removing phone chargers as you go......

2) the boss only buys cars with in built sat nat so I suppose I dont have a choice.

Damo