PDA

View Full Version : Which Polo...?

TheBigJC420
27-10-2008, 10:00 PM
My girlfriend is looking to buy a new car and wants a polo mk5 (6N?), no sure which one (either 1.4 16v or 1.6 gti) - think?
We've been warned about the 6N polo having gearbox issues...
Can anyone shed some light and advice about this?
Cheers

rydale13
21-11-2008, 08:55 PM
hey mate, im a proud owner of a Mk4 polo, basically identical under pinnings of the MK5, except the Mk5 gearbox is much worse lol.

anyway ive fallen into the gearbo failure trap. The things to look for:

-keep your eye on difficult gear changes, not a fact but could be a result of a dodgy gearbox.

- listen for a whirring sound from the front of the car. the tell-tale sound of a broken box

-the worst gears are 1st 2nd and 3rd so give em a good test before handing over the cash.

-finally dont forget reverse! often over looked

check for the idle aswell, if its lumpy it could be a throttle body problem, insist it gets sorted before buying, if the owner hasnt fixed it, it might be becuase its a difficult fix. rare but not unheard of...

thats about all i got mate! lol

Luke

Crasher
21-11-2008, 09:04 PM
The Polo 6N2 GTI is the Polo 3 facelift or Polo 3 2000 as the Germans tend to call it. Yes, the 6N2 GTI is terribly prone to gearbox problems and to repair the box properly costs around £1500 which gets you a genuine box with a two year warranty but you need to budget for a clutch on top of that so another £150. Other than that, I think the 6N2 GTI is one of the best small cars VW have produced since the Golf 1 GTI 1.6.

Apart from that, any 6N or 6N2 Polo is prone to gearbox, clutch and starter motor bush problems but other than that they are very good cars.

rydale13
21-11-2008, 09:15 PM
the price given for the gearbox mate is a bit steep. I have had my gearbox refurbed on my Mk4. It cost £1000 and that was including the clutch and a full 12 month 100,000 mile warranty.

besides you can pick up a 2nd hand one for about £150, put it this way, you can pretty much guarantee your gonna have to sort the gearbox out, if not already!!

Crasher
22-11-2008, 01:24 AM
That price is VW’s own retail price. Your Polo 3 6N (a Polo 4 is a 9N from 2002 onwards) will have either a CZG, DCC or DKE box but DSQ, DXE, DXH, EQY and EQZ boxes are also suitable so finding used example is not difficult. Finding a used 6N2 GTI (ETG, ETB, ETC, FFL, FFM, FHX, FHZ or FFW) box is not that easy.