PDA

View Full Version : 99 Audi A6 1.8T Random Starter.

dannyosat
10-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Two weeks ago my Audi A6 failed to start following many years of trouble free motoring, about 120,000 miles, luckily failed to start at home so called the RAC, informed that the starter had failed after a good check up. Bumped started and took to local auto electrician next morning, as audi dealer is a fair distance from the house as advised by RAC. The auto electrician swapped the starter motor informing me that it was swimming in oil, however not a drop on the drive or anywhere we park. Started great and drove home, parked on the level and checked the oil level that showed high about 10mm over so pumped out excess through dip stick. After about 4 days an intermittant fault has now developed where in about 30% of the time it wont start just clicks, after one or two attemps starts strongly. The battery gauge does drift down slowly when held over and not starting. Anyone got any ideas before the auto electrian tries to convince me that it is a new starter that he put on and it must be to do with the oil, can see it coming as its been written on the invoice. Regards Danny