PDA

View Full Version : WHICH OIL FOR 2003 model SHARAN TDI PD

kimsue
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM

integra_john
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
all it does is allow for longer service periods.

I have some longlife oil for sale on ebay for £20 for 4 litres.

I will be able to supply you some if needed .

seraph
10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
! Does the Longlife oil do anything extra apart from allow longer service intervals ?
long life oil just simply breaks down slower than reg oil, in laymans terms

switching to reg. oil wont effect the engine in the slightest.

Duckams is a repuatable brand too. Up to you whether you regard vags specification for the oil.

devonutopia
10-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I would say as long as it's VW approved 5w-40 505.01 spec, you'll be fine.

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
long life oil just simply breaks down slower than reg oil, in laymans terms

In laymans terms, then yes, but the LongLife oil also has vastly improved higher operating temperature protection - which is pretty vital for any turbo motor.

switching to reg. oil wont effect the engine in the slightest.

Not true. Switching to "regular oil" which, using your term, could include Castrol GTX 20w50 mineral oil - would cause serious damage!

Duckams is a repuatable brand too.

And is owned by Castrol.

Up to you whether you regard vags specification for the oil.

Absolute tosh. I never understand why people say that. VW spend millions on R&D, making highly technical products. If they deemed that any oil would do, do you not think they would say so in their owners manuals. The reason VW recommend an oil which has been tested to their required standards, is quite simply because that is the oil standard to provide the necessary protection for that engine.

As Jason states, it must be VW505.01 for fixed interval servicing, or for LongLife only 506.01. Nothing else should be used in PD engines, and there is proven information in the public domain regarding engine damage from using non PD oils!

What next, the OP owns a diesel, but because it is more expensive than unleadded, you tell them to use petrol instead!! :aargh4:

devonutopia
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
The effects of using the wrong oil seem clear in another thread. Someone gave their garage 10w 40 505.00 oil to put in their PD engined car.... Instant drop of 9mpg and untold damage being done inside. And thats just from using the wrong kind of VW spec TDI oil, not just a different oil altogether.

I don't see why people should scrimp over a few quid, when oil is so essential for the life of the engine. Some things I will cut corners on, but oil is not one of them. Best oil I've found so far is Millers XFE-PD oil. VW approved to 505.01 and usually around £25 or less from a motor factors.

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
The effects of using the wrong oil seem clear in another thread. Someone gave their garage 10w 40 505.00 oil to put in their PD engined car.... Instant drop of 9mpg and untold damage being done inside. And thats just from using the wrong kind of VW spec TDI oil, not just a different oil altogether.

'Kin 'ell - didn't even think of the fuel consumption (thats what owning an S4 does ;) ). The 10W would add to increased cold cranking loads, and also general increase in pumping loads, until the oil is at normal running temps, could take some time in this weather! Don't suppose you have the linky to the thread??

I don't see why people should scrimp over a few quid, when oil is so essential for the life of the engine. Some things I will cut corners on, but oil is not one of them. Best oil I've found so far is Millers XFE-PD oil. VW approved to 505.01 and usually around £25 or less from a motor factors.

Too true. But how many prospective purchasers of PD engined cars are told of the need for the more expensive PD brews?

devonutopia
11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Don't suppose you have the linky to the thread??

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5112

kimsue
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5112

Ta, it's one I've already posted in - I have been :sleeping: since then. ;)

Perhaps you'd better wake me up with this :hitwithro .

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I still think VW are ripping us off.

Nope - but if you can't / won't afford the maintenance costs of your highly engineered, highly regarded quality german designed engine, why don't you sell it and buy a Ford Anglia? :kabong:

If National tyres can supply oil, filter and do the work all in for £25 then someone somewhere is ripping us off.

But they CAN NOT supply the proper PD VAG approved oil, and I seriously doubt they use a genuine, or OEM spec filter, and as for their workmanship - well search on username "thewiderview" for his similar experiences at Thik-Fit! Then you might just realise that going to a tyre place for oil changes really is false economy!

In addition I have a friend who has a Vauxhall Trade Club card and the retail price for their best long life oil that apparently is not up to the VW standard is £25 for 5 litres. They will sell it to her with the card for £12 for 5 litres and still make a profit.

WRONG - just plain wrong. I personally am a member of Vauxhall Trade Club. For the "longlife" oil that you appear to be quoting, for five litres, the retail price is £28.75+VAT (£33.78), and TradeClub price of £16.55+VAT (£19.45). Furthermore, the ONLY "longlife" approval is that of GM (Vauxhall, Opel etc) only (LL-A-025, LL-B-025), which does NOT comply with any VAG standards. This oil does have some "generic" standards, such as: API: SL/CF, ACEA: A3,B3,B4, but again, VAG do not recognise these standards!

On those prices you quoted, that would be for the Vauxhall semi-synthetic oil, which would be even worse in your PD motor!

In fact they would happily sell their entire stock at £12.

Would they now? And what do you think they would give to the rest of the retail and trade customers asking for the same! :smashfrea

I also know that staff at VW dealer get a 40% discount.

Well - so what! Ever heard of perks. Why don't you try and tap one of them up, and see if they'll do you a deal?

So if VW really wanted to help us all rather than asking £75 for a 5 Litre can of oil they should drop the price.

Where the heck are you getting that price from????? Quantum (the official VAG retail and trade dealer supplied range) LongLife II can be had for about £38-40 for 5 litres!

Oh and if you are ever in eastern europe drop in to your local VW dealer there. You will be suprised how the retail price for a Litre of longlife drops to about £6.

And . . . how can you be sure it is the genuine proper stuff? Are the bottles still sealed? Are they counterfit?

I had an horrendous experience at the main Audi dealer in Andorra. Asking for 5 litres of the proper LongLife stuff, they repeatedly tried fobbing me off with the wrong stuff. I got the empty bottle from my boot, and a while later, they returned with a handfull of one litre bottles, covered in a layer of dust thicker than a '70s ****-pile carpet! They explained that they NEVER used that stuff in the workshop, even though they were doing LongLife services - ARGGGHHH.

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok enough beating around the bush
what you saying exactly.

Bush and . . . no - I'm not going there. Already had mods trim a previous post ;) .

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Ha Ha Ha
Nothing wrong with beating around a good bush :D

Yebut, it depends who does the beating :D

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Does it opps

Ahem, say no more ;)

integra_john
13-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I also know that staff at VW dealer get a 40% discount.

well you know wrong because we get 51% on somethings and as little as 5% on some otherthings , and longlife oil is no where near 40%.