PDA

View Full Version : A6 4.2 quattro

brown934
09-02-2007, 10:18 PM
:1zhelp: Hi, guys, I just bought a A6 4.2 2000, it is being repaired due to a light frontal damage. The brake pedal drops to the floor, there isn't any fluid leaking (that I can see), just wandering if it was a fault with these?

Also the gearbox seems to playing up, will not drive in reverse (auto), common fault?

The engine sounds awesome :D , can't wait to get it back on the road.

Regards
Steve

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
:1zhelp: Hi, guys, I just bought a A6 4.2 2000, it is being repaired due to a light frontal damage. The brake pedal drops to the floor, there isn't any fluid leaking (that I can see), just wandering if it was a fault with these?

For the brake issues, have a look at these two recent threads. If you get no joy, get back to us with a little more info on the detail of your diagnosis:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=18371
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3877

Also the gearbox seems to playing up, will not drive in reverse (auto), common fault?

Ohh, sounds bad, but not my area, so I'll leave that to others. I presume it is the standard Tiptronic slush box, and not the multitronic?

The engine sounds awesome :D , can't wait to get it back on the road.

Oh yus - that I can vouch for! ;)

devonutopia
09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Brakes sounds like there's air in the system. I would suggest a full flush through, refill and re-bleeding.

Not sure on the box. Could be just electronic. What kind of accident was it? Nothing that could have affected the box?

brown934
09-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Guys, thanks you your help.

It's a normal triptronic box.

I'm not sure about the accident. I was told is was a low speed accident in a field at a car boot sale. I was told that the car ended up in a ditch & damaged a brake line. I check all the lines and no breakage or leaks. It light damage to the off side front. near side doors. I was told that the oil cooler for the gearbox was damaged,I couldn't see any damage.

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Brakes sounds like there's air in the system. I would suggest a full flush through, refill and re-bleeding.

Could also be a kaput servo or master cylinder too, or the ABS modulator! Even pumping the pedal to see if it rises isn't a definative test for air.

Rgds

4.two
19-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to find out if a 19 x 9 et 35 wheel wraped in a 265/35-19 will fit, with no rubbing, my 03' S6....Anyone know?

s6sputnik
21-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Guys, thanks you your help.

It's a normal triptronic box.

I'm not sure about the accident. I was told is was a low speed accident in a field at a car boot sale. I was told that the car ended up in a ditch & damaged a brake line. I check all the lines and no breakage or leaks. It light damage to the off side front. near side doors. I was told that the oil cooler for the gearbox was damaged,I couldn't see any damage.

I don't think the seller is not telling the truth!

Take it to someone who can properly take care of your car...Brakes are rather important and so is the gearbox I might add.

my $0.02

Niall76
26-06-2007, 08:01 PM
The brake fault you describe sounds like the seals in the master cylinder have gone. But are you sure there's no fluid leaking anywhere? After a crash.....

KiwiA6
26-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I would also suggest a full oil and filter change on the transmission - costly, but if the oil cooler was damaged you never know what little bits could be floating in there......

Best make sure you do the oil change after you sort the transmission fault though - you would hate to pour all that expensive new oil away if you have to crack open the trans to fix the fault!! ;)