PDA

View Full Version : Driving position

Jamie1114
20-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Is it just me, or is it quite hard to adjust the seats to get a comfortable driving position? I seem to have to be almost lying down to get my hands and feet the right distance from the wheel / pedals at the same time.

A4 Avant SE with sports seats.

Dans
21-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Out of interest, how tall are you?

Jamie1114
21-10-2008, 08:45 PM
6 foot (ish). Inside leg 31.5". Sleeve 34". Pretty normal really (no limb extensions / prunings).

RichardCranium
21-10-2008, 08:53 PM
took me a while to get a position i was happy with. I ended up sitting more upright than in previous cars, but it feels right

Dans
21-10-2008, 10:49 PM
6 foot (ish). Inside leg 31.5". Sleeve 34". Pretty normal really (no limb extensions / prunings).

No prunings here either. Sorry, I have nothing to help you, but as I will pick mine up next week I was curious. As of next monday, I will be in a position to compare notes, so I will do so!

nm2003
22-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I am 178cm tall, and I also have not found a good driving position. When my arms feel the right length from the steering wheel, the foot rest is too far away, for my left foot to sit flat.

Maybe if the foot rest could be made to stick out an additional 5cm it would be the right length.

Jamie1114
22-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Okay, well I've just worked out the steering wheel adjustment goes in and out, as well as up and down. Problem solved. I need it pushed right it - I've only recently descended from the trees.

I've found that it is good to have the lumbar set vertically lower than I'd expect.

If you are worried about the pedal positions, get Adaptive Cruise Control - you don't have to use them - best feature on the car (after I sent it back after a day and they made it work).

Targo
01-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I am 165cm and I have the same problem than nm2003. Totally agree that 5cm would do the trick. I have to drive with my left knee totally bent.

Red 2
01-11-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm 6ft 2 and it took me a while as there are so many permutations but I've now got a comfortable position. Central tunnel was an annoyance but I've got used to it now...I miss having a clear footrest to the left of the clutch.

I suspect that we're stuck with the 'fat' tunnel on the RHD version unless Audi do major re-design.You'll note the passenger side (driver's position on LHD cars) does not suffer the same.

Oh and my car has a sun roof and there is still plenty of room up top without having the seats at lowest position!

Once you get properly adjusted,the ergonomics do actually work quite well. One small niggle.....wish the front fog lights warning light was visible from behind the wheel on my SE.

blackcurrent
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Coming from driving a Ford S-MAX i'm finding getting comfy very easy. :p

brantome
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm 6ft 2 and it took me a while as there are so many permutations but I've now got a comfortable position. Central tunnel was an annoyance but I've got used to it now...I miss having a clear footrest to the left of the clutch.

Although I don't have large feet, I'm finding my left foot is often hitting the central tunnel wall and isn't fully on the clutch. Feels particularly tight between pedals/feet when I'm wearing trainers. Might need to play around with the driving column and see if that gives me a more central seating arrangement.

tomr1979
30-05-2009, 09:50 PM
further to mmy recent thread on off set pedals which ties in with this discussion

How have those people that have commented found things since this was talked about back in 2008?

Red 2
31-05-2009, 06:37 AM
I've adopted a slightly more upright position than I did with previous cars but , on standard SE leather seats, it feels fine. Still have sufficent headroom and that is with a sunroof fitted.

Permutations are endless and I really think it is worth an extended test drive and a play with the settings to make sure that it suits.

I only have an hour's commute both ways each day but rack up the miles on long journeys at the weekends. I have however found it a very comfortable car on the long hauls.

AndyH123
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
After a year I'm still not convinced I've got it quite right.

Like a few have said, I think I'm more upright than in my previous car. I definately like having the extended leg thing out an inch or so. I've given up on lumbar.

Can I ask the dumb question - what are the good rules of thumb for driving position?

Black Phantom
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I previously drove a Land Rover Discovery 2 which was like sitting at the kitchen table. The Audi is so much more comfortable. I suppose you just have to keep adjusting till you find what is comfy for you. All the best!