PDA

View Full Version : MKIII Golf GTi rough running

ESibley
09-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I recently bought a golf 2l gti (1995) and since then it has ran terribly! It started off as an intermittent fault but now it is all the time. The car will judder when you go above 2500 rpm and so far I have changed the following-ht leads, coil pack, distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, breather line from crank case to the throttle body and have just cleaned the fuel injectors. The car has had three diagnostic check and each one has shown no fault codes-is there anyone out there that can help!!!

ESibley
09-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi Andy. No, it runs ok when first started but if you try to accelerate past 2500rpm it starts to judder and you can't go any faster until it decides to clear-which can take anything from a few minutes to half an hour-thank you for your help with this

GTI Man
12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I had an intermittent fault with my 1997 GTI 8V I changed most of the above but the thing that seems to have worked was the crank sensor ? but this can be around 100 quid to replace unless you can do it yourself. Try to clean the throttle heads as some asked me to do. There is a thread regarding "Engine spluttering GTI 16V" this might help also. Good luck because it is a pain

andrew.butler57
18-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi there, I've come across your problem before and it sounds like a faulty air mass meter! Firstly check for blocked air filter then check wiring to air mass i.e. three pin connector. If you cannot find any faults after these checks then replace the air mass meter! Best of Luck!

Crasher
18-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Change the ECU relay first (position three on the fuse box; top row, third from left with the number 30 on top and the VW part number 165 906 381) they cost £11.08 and cause terrible running problems on the Simos engined (95 to 98) 8v GTI. The Air Mass (or Volume) Meter (037 906 461 BX) costs £96.35 exchange from VW and in my experience they very rarely fail on the ADY/AGG engine. They are made by Hitachi and not Bosch like the units that fail if you talk too loud near them.