PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A4 2.0 FSI driving me nuts

GrahamMcCartney
20-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry if this goes on a bit, need to get it off my chest. My '03 reg A4 has had a number of common problems (failed water pump etc.) but any help on diagnosing the latest one would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for at least 6 months with no end in sight....

I've had the car for the last 3 and a half years and have done about 40k miles in it (60k total now). Earlier this year I thought it sounded a bit noisier at idle and I noticed some vibration through the steering wheel even when not moving. This problem persists to now. Depressing the clutch makes no difference to the vibration.

A trip to Audi resulted in the helpful advice that it might be the tyres (note I pointed out that this happens when I'm not moving), and there was nothing mechanically wrong.

Roll forward 6 months and the car was being serviced by an independent so asked for another check. This time there was a P0314 fault registered on the computer, but as this code doesn't identify which cylinder the single misfire is on, was advised to run the car until I got an engine management warning came on. Result, I'm driving the car half expecting it to break down at any moment, which rather kills driving pleasure.

Maybe because I'm ultra paranoid at the moment I reckon there is a lot more 'boominess' when load increases (eg. going up hill), and I've also noticed that there appears to be some feedback between accelerator pedal and gear knob in lower gears (gear knob physically moves slightly when I press accelerator).

I'm not sure whether I've got more than one problem here or whether they can all be symptoms of the same thing. Any help to get this sorted out would be great, it feels wrong to let it break down as a means of diagnosing what's wrong.

kite
20-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I would have the engine mountings checked.

front wing
20-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe a coil pack going down?

GrahamMcCartney
24-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. A quick update as the car has been in again today. Seems more and more likely I have two faults. Found a problem with one of the engine mountings on inspection - now waiting for part to see if it makes much difference. The misfire problem I'll just have to live with for now.

RickT
24-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Purchase a set of new coils packs.. these cost £25.00 each and you will need 4..

These are very common failing and do cause a vibration.. even when i coil pack is failing very slightly you feel it through the car but it does not load a code until the misfire is greater..

One other option.. purchase one coil pack and put it in Cylinder 1... test.. if problem still there put the "old coil pack back and and put new in Cylinder 2 and so on until you have tested it in all 4 to prove a coil pack failure.

Cheers

Rick