PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.0e ABK fuel pump - replacing

muz666
20-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi all, anyone replaced the fuel pump on a 92 abk engined 80?
The pump is inside the tank, could not see how it comes out and gave up trying to change it. Its right at the bottom of the tank in a housing of sorts.
The reason for this is I have an intermitant sticking pump, got stranded at the weekend, turned out a "carefully measured" knock to the tank was enough to get it going again, shame it took 2 hrs to work it ont!

muz666
21-10-2008, 12:49 PM
anyone?

muz666
22-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Well the fuel pump packed in last night at work, so no choice but to fit the replacement, was easy once i worked out how to get the old one out!

my 80 is is a 92 on, so a b4 version.

Neither the haynes 80 or a6 manual had the correct info for doing this job. the a6 one is closest till extracting the pump then its rubbish!

Basically to change the fuel pump, if possible wait till the tank is almost empty.
remove the plate in the boot that gives you access to the top of the tank, disconnect both fuel pipes and wire harness. Unscrew the locking ring, have some rags handy as fuel leaks everywhere. lift the sender unit, you'll have to wiggle it a bit to get it out.
once out you will see the pump at the bottom of the tank in a plastic housing, to remove the pump, there are 2 plastic "ear shaped"clips that are part of the main holder, these need to be gently pushed down whilst gently lifting the pump towards you, do one at a time, then the pump will come out of the housing. to remove from tank loosen the electrical connections and wiggle it out.

Refitting is a lot easier, attach the fuel line and electrical connections then just line up the pipe on the end of the pump with the hole in the housing and push till it fits and both clips engage. put all the other bits back on and you're good to go.

i was unfortunate to have a nearly full tank and my hands still smell of petrol! even after 20+ washes :-(, the petrol ate my latex gloves in about 30 seconds!

Took me 1.5 hrs to do, but if i had know how the pump fitted I could have done the job in 30 mins tops. just glad i had packed some tools in the car yesterday morning!

The first thing i noticed was the flat spot in acceleration the car suffered from has gone and feels like there is a lot more power now, no hesitations or holding back!

hope that helps someone.......