PDA

View Full Version : Lower arm swap

hman1975
19-10-2008, 10:33 PM
To swap the front lower arms, do I need a spring compressor?

or can I just un-bolt the balljoint and inner wishbone mounts?

obviously the car would be off the ground, I'm thinking that the driveshaft and steering rack would hold the leg in place... am I wrong?

All help gratefully received:beerchug:

zollaf
20-10-2008, 11:51 AM
just take the pinch bolt out that secures the ball joint to the leg , undo the two bolts that hold the wishbone to the subframe and out she comes. i presume your bushes have gone? check the subframe mounts as well as these fail all too often, but are fairly easy to replace.I prefer to keep the genuine audi lower arms though and put some polybushes in these. the cost is the same as 2 new lower arms but youll have a tighter front end and not have to worry about inferior quality lower arms falling apart or the bushes failing again.

hman1975
20-10-2008, 03:52 PM
ok, thats good news. presume I can do that on the floor with a trolley jack and an axle stand?

I've previously had poly's installled on both my 90 and my cabriolet - they certainly did the trick.

This time its on a 2.2E coupe quattro which I built with a chum for Scumball 2007, after its beating at the ring the bushes failed and have been that way for toooo long now.

Said Chum has already bought standard lower arms, he'll then get the original arms fitted with polys for a swap the next time the front bushes go.

How easy is the subframe bush swap?, I've dropped the subframe out before but had no time or money to do any bush replacements as we were 300% over our £1000 limit!!!!!
:beerchug:

zollaf
20-10-2008, 04:56 PM
once the arms are out the way, you undo the 4 bolts holding the subframe on and drag it out. you have to undo the antiroll bar from it first and depending on exact spec the engine or gearbox is attatched to it in 1 or 2 places. then remove the old bushes and fit new. ive just replaced mine with solid mounts and really like them. and yes the arms and subfram can all be done on a trolley jack/ axle stand. I mention the subframe as i changed both arms on my old 80 once as when you braked she pulled to the left. with new arms twas exactly the same. one of the subframe bushes was letting the frame flex!!! good luck ..

zollaf
20-10-2008, 04:59 PM
forgot to say the subframe bushes are pennies each from gsf, or hunt around for solids. mine were about £60 on ebay, and very easy to fit since they sit on the frame and dont require a press, hammer vice or any blood to put in..

Dermo123
22-10-2008, 01:35 PM
On the same subject does anyone know off hand if the lower wishbone from a 1988 1.8s will fit the later revised model 92 - 95 1.6 petrol?

hman1975
22-10-2008, 05:19 PM
On the same subject does anyone know off hand if the lower wishbone from a 1988 1.8s will fit the later revised model 92 - 95 1.6 petrol?

There's only one way to find out - FIIIIGGHHHHT!

Just kidding, i think they are the same, my 1988 90E had the same wishbones as my 1995 2.6E cab

Ring audi or euro they will tell you what the part numbers are.

zollaf
25-10-2008, 12:29 PM
dont forget that when you tighten the wishbones back up the weight of the car must be on the wheels, so the bushes are locked into place at normal rideheight. tighten them up whilst the car is in the air and they will last days. i lower the front wheels onto concrete blocks, bounce the front, then crawl underneath to finally tighten the bolts.

hman1975
25-10-2008, 03:48 PM
thanks for the extra info, i'll probably use a couple of spare wheels under the front wheels for the bounce and tighten manuever...