PDA

View Full Version : Audi 90 Quattro (2.3 litre 10 valve/ 1988) general info required

Apollo
09-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and hope to get some useful advice on running my car. I think I may have "saved" this car as it was sitting for almost a year on the previous owner's driveway not being used or even cleaned or covered-up. It has only 78000 miles on it and although it has a few dints and a bit of corrosion around the front arches, it is still a fairly nice motor. I have owned VW/Audi for many years now and I know these older Audi's can do monstrous mileages if cared for properly. The car is presently with "my mechanic" and being prepped for MOT. He has found some steering/suspension bushes that need changing, new brake pads required all-round, 2 new brake disks needed on the rear and some minor welding on the exhaust (as it sounded nicely "gruff" when we started it but was, in fact, blowing where it shouldn't.... I've asked for an oil and filter service to also be carried out and a flush of the coolant and a new mixture put in. Finally, with no cambelt history - I've asked for that to be done too.... (although I'm not sure if it should be done on just mileage - or time-elapsed too.......?????)

Couple of questions - the car is wearing original 14 inch steel wheels that are quite narrow given the class of vehicle way back in 1988. I wonder what nice Audi alloys (with a wider fit...) I could fit eventually. Also, have I covered everything for the car's re-commisioning to active service...??? Although the previous owner said it was his "pride and joy" before he stopped using the car (due to having a works van....) he had absolutely no service history with it...

Sorry, last question - the car is a nice silvery-blue metallic. I wonder if anyone knows what this colour is actually called. Anyone have any advice for cleaning-up the corrosion on the front arches (they always seem to go around there, even though the body is galvanised.....)

Many thanks for any advice or comments. Sorry about the novel...

(PS - I live Staffordshire in the UK)

Apollo
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for that.

I forgot to mention, my car is the saloon, not a coupe (so probably just gone right down in the desirability stakes ;) ).

Also, I am slightly concerned about wheels that might be far too big for the car, as I don't want to risk upsetting the quattro-drive in some way.... The std steel wheels do look quite ridiculous though. In the late 80's, this car must have been considered a fairly "high-spec" motor with ABS/ power steering/ central locking/ fog lights front & rear, sunroof etc, but no alloys....:confused:

Thanks for any advice at all on wheels/tyres that may be suitable on this vehicle.