PDA

View Full Version : Please Help fueling problem ?

vinyard87
16-10-2008, 11:20 PM
hi just got my first mk1 gti 1.6 8 valve 1981 and there are a fue isues that need addressing which is to be expeted

But recently a whiny whisle has started comeing from under the bonnet it sounds like its comeing from the coil also when i put my foot down it starts splutering and the power dies away when it gets to about 2 n a half grand im just wondering if it could be the fuel pump?

I used to have a mk2 sirocco gt2 which had a simular problem but that was due to no warm air pick up so the fuel was freezing in the carb when i gave it some stick

Any info or help would be much apprecated cheers

divvyd
17-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I am not familiar with the engine, but I dare say the coil is mounted to the bulkhead on this model. I would personally be looking at your Intake manifold and checking the gaskets because they usually squeel when they go and also cause a misfire/fuel like problem at mid range revs, I would suggest checking your gaskets on these and also the bolts ensure they are tight. Try blocking the intake and see if u hear an air rush around the manifold/throttle body.
I may be plucking in the wrong areas but It was a common problem with the corrados

divvyd
17-01-2009, 09:39 PM
also check your hot air feed from the manifold could be a sticking warm/cold valve in the air box/inlet pipe. It is vacuum controlled

towcestervag
17-01-2009, 11:00 PM
there is a large vac hose by the coil on the inlet manifold the plastic part does break and will cause a whistle
also check the fuel filler neck these rust out and let water into tank causing all sorts of running faults

vinyard87
22-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your suggetions towcestervag and divvyd soted it now i changed the fuel filler neck and filter then a mate sed it try the k jet so i banged a new one on and its sound now next job coil overs get it decked

cheers again :beerchug: