PDA

View Full Version : VW Sharan pollen filter

kimsue
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Can anyone advise how to replace the pollen filter on my 2003 Sharan. The main dealer service dept quoted "this was designed by a mad man" and suggested not replacing it as it takes as long as a service, lots of things can go wrong and get broken due to trying to access it and if it is not fitted correctly water can enter vehicle and the whole thing has to be done again. :confused: If VW dont want to touch it who does !! Another quality and well designed vehicle from VW.... not. Where did they every get a reputation for quality & well designed products ?? :aargh4:

Sam
08-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I find it strange your dealership turned you away.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291

This may help you but from a little bit of searching it would appear you may have to "first remove the windscreen wiper blades and the protective cover" hence the unwillingness for mechanics to have a go themselves.

Very labour intensive.

andy e
08-02-2007, 08:51 PM
have done this on my sharan not recomended unless u like hard work elsawin says that it can be slid out but it shows a lhd car, i ended up taking wiper blades off and all the linkages as well took 2-3 hrs a right pain in the behind

integra_john
10-02-2007, 07:05 PM
once you have done a few its about 10 mins work but if its your first one you will lose some blood

andy e
11-02-2007, 07:33 PM
changed filter today 1 hr getting better!!

DonPepe
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
changed filter today 1 hr getting better!!

Hi Andy_e

How did you manage to take the windshield wipers off ?
I couldn't take the windshield wiper arms off even after taking the bolts off and was afraid I would break it if I pulled too hard.

I appreciate your advice.

Tks, John

carbon8ed
13-04-2009, 11:14 AM
once you have done a few its about 10 mins work but if its your first one you will lose some blood
Quoted for truth, it can be done without removing wiper blade IIRC, but it was a PIA and the hands!!

Good luck, fiddly, not difficult really, just give yourself plenty of tme and try to remain calm:D

andy e
13-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi Andy_e

How did you manage to take the windshield wipers off ?
I couldn't take the windshield wiper arms off even after taking the bolts off and was afraid I would break it if I pulled too hard.

I appreciate your advice.

Tks, John
put the nuts back on spindle but not quite to the arms leaving a couple of threads showing, lift the wiper blade arm to the vertical position, then get a soft faced hammer and tap the arm on the spindle at the same time pulling the arm up it will come loose

DonPepe
15-04-2009, 03:11 PM
My goodness, the windshield wipers are fixed by pressure ?

Great tip ! I'll try as soon as I can find a whole day or at least half a day.

Regards
John

andy e
16-04-2009, 02:01 PM
they are on splines, but that is the easiest way to get them off without skinning knuckles/swearing/breaking windscreen and all the other malodies that come with changing the bl@~Dy pollen filter,have fun:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglau gh:

drodders
17-04-2009, 03:57 PM
i also have a 03 sharan iv done mine twice now the hardest thing is sliding it out i never touched my wipers at all took about 20 mins if you have a look on the ford galaxy owners forum there is a piece in the q&a section done by seatkid with very good pictures as well trust me when you have seen these pictures & the way it is explained the replacement is not hard at all check it out...hope this helps...:beerchug:

the_old_diver
19-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Mine's a 97 normal UK Sharan TDI and I only needed to remove the 3 foot wide shelf thing that is held in by three screws to access the pollen filter. I did not need to remove any wipers or linkages, but have a dim recollection of having to park the wipers in the upright position. Of course I removed the battery connection afterwards as I didn't want the mechanism to park itself with my fingers in there.

Sure it took an hour or so of fiddling to get the shelf out and figure how to remove the front retaining bit of the filter holder, but after that it was not rocket science. In the end I didn't see exactly how the front retaining bit did come off, and remarkably it went back on easily enough - just seemed to click into place.

That's an odd thing I have found with my VWs - if I can't figure how something is fastened on, it will usually come off by pulling or prising...

Hope this helps. OD