PDA

View Full Version : Starting the engine when cold outside

parsen66
15-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Now that the weather has changed and the temperature dropping over night, i find that it takes a good couple of seconds for the car to start once i've pushed the key. A significant difference to warmer weather. Could it be the glowplugs warming?
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same.

dcran4
15-10-2008, 08:07 AM
My A4 TDI is the same, it will be the glow plugs heating up. It's only a few seconds though.

scottishbud
15-10-2008, 09:41 AM
My A4 is the same also. Heating up!

alexcf
15-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Ah, I thought that was the case, glad someone's mentioned it. God I do love this forum!

sunil1234
16-10-2008, 10:20 AM
i push the key in first without my foot on the pedal so it wont turn the engine then wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking.

Some bloke down the pub said you can knacker the glow plug quicker if you dont allow it to warm before cranking. is this true or does the computer and delay you experience in your method take care of this?

ta

Audi Happy
17-10-2008, 03:33 PM
On the handover when i got my car i was told there was a delay in starting in cold weather due to the glow plug warming so i assume all is ok just press the key and admire the view whilst you wait for it to crank up.

kevspi
17-10-2008, 04:15 PM
while were talking about cold weather start up's has anyone else noticed how hard it is to clear the condensation off the front side windows just after start up? I never noticed it as a problem in my b6. The old trick of dropping the windows up and down doesn't work either as the sponge either side isn't close enough to the window....what am i doing wrong?

neilb
17-10-2008, 07:31 PM
agreed, opening and closing the side windows does not remove the condensation. Strange as this worked fine on the Merc.

nlb.

bluestar_ale
21-10-2008, 04:58 AM
I noticed the delay in the car starting up ........ due to the glow plugs warming up on the diesel engine, have to say the delay is far worse than I had on my old 320d BMW, it was only when the temperature really dropped that there was a delay on the BM, the Audi seems to delay start up at the slightest drop in temperature.................

chuno
21-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Most of the condensation goes on mine when I open and close the windows. It's not perfect though.