PDA

View Full Version : Question Fuel starvation

Itswrighty
14-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi, I have an A4 2.5 tdi quattro. When the vehicle travels up hill the revs won't go above 2000rpm. On the flat the vehicle travels ok but not as well as it did. since I live in the mounatins this is becoming a big problem. I have taken it to three garages two audi main dealers and a local garage. One garage said the turbo, one said the diesel injector unit and one said the crank shaft. The car has had full Audi services and covered 160K. It is very fustrating as this problem is only going up hill. Can anyone help???? Regards

willythecat
14-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Itswrighty, and thanks for your reply.
I got an answer from Niall, and mine is repairable. Whether or not l'll try it myself is another story. Cars and me are like chalk and cheese!
Just ONE of my problems was the car would be driving ok, and when l accelerated all power went and then picked up again. Going up an incline, there was no power at all. (sound familiar?).
I HOPE it's not your problem but (l'm not technical), l'd lost the oil in the gearbox due to a small crack, and had to have a new gearbox fitted which solved the problem (€3500+). Luckily in my case, and it's a long story, my insurance paid for the whole lot!
Suggest checking the gearbox fluid level?
Probably all this is bulls**t and won't apply to you.
PS Are you with AXA?
Regards
WTC

Itswrighty
15-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi fella

Yes with AXA but changing to Credit Agcricole as they are cheaper. Had a look at fluid levels all ok. However found that the drive shaft rubber shoe has split and level was low. Another problem!!!! This loosing power up hill is driving meet nuts. I now know exactly what up hill bend and what part of my route home from work it is going to happen and return to normall.

Regards

adamss24
15-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Disconect the airmass meter a.k.a MAF. Chances are that its buggered or the turbocharger is jammed up with carbon/soot. Thats a result of sedate driving. If the car runs the same or better with the MAF disconected, then you found the culprit. Look closelly for perished small rubber hoses from turbocharger actuator to turbocharger...

mluton
16-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the forum

willythecat
16-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Itswrighty,
The reason l asked about AXA before is that direct line is also owned by AXA. Get an auto quote via the following link
http://www.assurland.com/?PartnerLinkId=238A003&gclid=CNii9MagrJYCFQxUtAodCxiZzw
and print off the one from direct line (it should be cheaper that CA).
Take this to your agent and ask that AXA matches this price.
I'm saving over €40 per month doing this!
Hope you get somewhere with the loss of power problem
Regards
WTC

Itswrighty
17-10-2008, 07:03 PM
adamass

Thank you for your reply. I will give this a go tomorrow. Can you do me a favour and let me know what a MAF looks like and where it is. Sorry fella but I am a bricky and not mechanically minded.

Regards

Itswrighty
18-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi adamss

found out what a MAF looks like. disconected and then took the whole thing out. Car ran exactly the same losing power as normal going up hil. slighty more black smoke than normal but not much. Will buy a new one on the net today and fingers crossed you may have just saved the 5000 euros Audi wanted to fix the problem but they weren't sure. MAF was prety black at one end??????

Many thanks will let you know the outcome.

Regards

Itswrighty
18-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi WTC

Thanks for the link will look into it.

Regards