PDA

View Full Version : New to Bora's

redtony
08-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Alright peeps.

Going to look around for a Bora Tdi this aug 2007.

Ive got a 106 Gti and selling up for the bigger car. Theres a few questions if you VW peeps could help us out.

1) What does :no red letters in Tdi mean? 1 red letter, 2 red letters and 3 red letters. I know the more BHP the more red but what BHP exactly.

2) Why have i seen some Bora Tdi's with cream, black, grey, some leather, some with holes in the head rests and some not..... Lots of different seats but the same number of letter reds.

Because the 106 Gti is the top model in the 106 range and comes with leather, easy to understand.

also, is there anything i should be looking out for when buying a Bora and is it worth going for a high "motorway milage" bora?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.......

threadil
08-02-2007, 12:18 PM
hi,

Got a petrol bora so cant realy answer your 2 questions.

but regarding high motorway milage, mine was a 2 year old repmobile - had over 50000 on the clock when i got it, and ive not had any probs in the running of it (with the exception of a jammed door lock).

Generally pleased with my bora, however it may be worth thinking about resale values as a similar spec golf holds its prices better.

Eshrules
08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Alright peeps.

Going to look around for a Bora Tdi this aug 2007.

Ive got a 106 Gti and selling up for the bigger car. Theres a few questions if you VW peeps could help us out.

1) What does :no red letters in Tdi mean? 1 red letter, 2 red letters and 3 red letters. I know the more BHP the more red but what BHP exactly.

2) Why have i seen some Bora Tdi's with cream, black, grey, some leather, some with holes in the head rests and some not..... Lots of different seats but the same number of letter reds.

Because the 106 Gti is the top model in the 106 range and comes with leather, easy to understand.

also, is there anything i should be looking out for when buying a Bora and is it worth going for a high "motorway milage" bora?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.......

hello and welcome to the forum.....

ok, lets take one point at a time, in regards to the badges see the following link :

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4321&page=2

however, please dont just go off the badges for the bhp of the engine, as these badges are 2 a apenny and easily obtained, for the true bhp, you need to get the code of the engine, eg AJM, this can be found on a sticker in the spare tyre well.

as for the differing seat types, the bhp of the car and the spec is not respective. eg you can have a 90 bhp se or you can have a 150bhp highline model. the seats and equipment will vary according to age, engine size and model trim.

as for the high mileage, anything around 100/150k with a full service history, providing the servicing is as it should be, i would not be worried. however, if you are buying a high mileage car, try to get a newer model, preferably ex company, as these will have had mainly m.way mileage accrued, less wear on the engine and respective parts.

you didnt state your price budget, but for around 6/7k youd be able to pick up a respectible mileage, reasonable spec, say a 130bhp sport.

as for the suggestion above in regards to the golf, yes, residual values on the golf are stronger, but, in the same respect, youll pay more for the equivalent spec golf. bora's by their very nature arent often bought nor used by the typical boy racer you will find in many golfs, therefore are often better looked after.

if you dont particularly want a golf, go for the bora. id say its the same scenario as choosing between a skoda and a vw, the bora is a lot more car for the money.:beerchug:

seraph
08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
however, please dont just go off the badges for the bhp of the engine, as these badges are 2 a apenny and easily obtained, for the true bhp, you need to get the code of the engine, eg AJM, this can be found on a sticker in the spare tyre well.

agree
forget the bootbadges - they are for the most part irrelevant - dealers put them on themselves, of which could have been changed anyway, as stated

that eng code stick is also found on the cambelt cover and in the handbook - makes sure all 3 match!

Apophis
08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I reckon that Stuart and co could post a "sticky" about this subject of TDI colour configuration, as it comes up soooo often.....
I post a link to my entry previously regarding what the colours supposedly mean, but at the end of the day, as Eshrules and Seraph have also stated, people and dealers change them.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=4699

The only way to tell what power output you have, is by checking the engine codes (3 letters), situated in 2 places:- on stickers in the inside of the service book, and in the spare wheel well in the boot.

I have just changed from a 130 bhp GT TDI Golf to a Bora Sport 150 bhp. The difference is staggering, not only in power, but also in handling. At first, I was unsure about the "comfort" suspension fitted (I thought it ought to have had the sport suspension fitted), but after driving it for a month now....WOW! The suspension is still stiff when it needs to be (a lot stiffer than the Golf had), and at the same time, also takes pot holes in its stride. As the car has an extra 9" for the boot, weight is better distributed, and handles much better than the Golf IV, particularly around corners.

My car is an ex fleet car, 53k miles. It is like new, as the only seat, which has been sat in is the driver's. I had the cam belt and tensioners changed when I part ex'ed the Golf. After a petrol engine with torque only really available in the upper rev range (the power band), be prepared to be astonished at the torque of the VW Pumpe Duse (pronounced pump-uh durz-uh) engine. The turbo kicks in at about 1800 rpm........then....wham! Enjoy! :D

On my (previously mentioned) service book sticker, it had highline written somewhere on it. My car is not a highline, it is a Sport. VW explained that the "highline" in this case, referred to the dash trim. Highline as a model, has leather, heated seats etc (sort of like Ford's Ghia trim).

One last thing, Mark IV Golfs / Boras onwards have galvanised bodies, which means no or little rust for years and years to come!!

redtony
09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
wow cheers
more info than id expected. my 106 gti is fast, very fast. but to small now and no room. hopefully i will have the money this august and sell the gti for a bora, will have about 4-5k to spend. my only chance with that money is probably a high milaged bora.

thanks

p.s

if i get a bora ( sorry not fullly clued up ) what bhp are the TDI'S

0 Reds
1 Reds
2 Reds
3 Reds

Cheers

seraph
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
if i get a bora ( sorry not fullly clued up ) what bhp are the TDI'S

110, 115, 130 , 150hp

but forget the badges - use the engine code.

Eshrules
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
110, 115, 130 , 150hp

but forget the badges - use the engine code.

i agree LOL cant really say this enough TBH, take a look at my post above, there is a link to a thread with all the detail you need in regards to the badges, but there useless, please dont ever rely on these to decipher the bhp of the car.... youll end up dissapointed!

also, 4/5 k come august should get you around an 02/03 plate with modest mileage, dont forget, money talks and bora's have poor depreciation compared to their sister golf, so dont be put off by a high price, go in and see what you can get, trust me theres enough out there for a bargain to be had!:beerchug:

Apophis
10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
As we've all said before, look at my and Eshrules links for more info re colours of badges. But as dealers / people change them, you can not be certain of the bhp. Look at the 2 stickers, one inside front cover of service book, the other in the spare wheel place in the boot; there will be a 3 letter engine code. They are as follows:-
ATD --74 kilowatt --100 bhp -- silver TDI in the "real" world;
AJM -- 85 kw --115 bhp -- red I;
ASZ -- 96 kw --130 bhp -- red DI;
ARL -- 110 kw --150 bhp -- all red TDI.

The above are all PD engines. The 90 and 110 bhp turbodiesels are VE engines (the older model).

seraph
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
. Look at the 2 stickers, one inside front cover of service book, the other in the spare wheel place in the boot

its worth counter checking the stickers above with the 3rd sticker found on the cambelt cover too, just for added security.

redtony
12-02-2007, 08:48 AM
cheers lads, sorry "I did read your above posts about not going on the red letters for BHP figures" was abit tired when i posted and knew what you's meant.

By august i might bump this thread to see if anyone could take time to take pictures of all the three places to look for the genuine BHP figures.

Not seen many Bora's round thats why im keen on them. Not test drove one yet to see if i like how it handles/goes. Anyone go from a smallish car I.E like my 106 Gti to the Bora. How are the seats, driving position, gear change.

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 09:39 AM
cheers lads, sorry "I did read your above posts about not going on the red letters for BHP figures" was abit tired when i posted and knew what you's meant.

By august i might bump this thread to see if anyone could take time to take pictures of all the three places to look for the genuine BHP figures.

Not seen many Bora's round thats why im keen on them. Not test drove one yet to see if i like how it handles/goes. Anyone go from a smallish car I.E like my 106 Gti to the Bora. How are the seats, driving position, gear change.

august :confused: well your doing your homework at least LOL as for the 3 places, its quite simple. no1 is the spare tyre well, in the boot, lift the carpet, take out the tyre and you will see 2 white stickers one above each other normally, you will find in bold lettering a 3 letter code, eg AJM, ARL, etc etc, thats your engine code. no2 is on the timing belt cover. this depends on the car, but im sure it will be the same place. lift the bonnet, as you look at the engine, on the left hand side, you will see a lot of belts all in vertical sequence, the top of which is covered with a black plastic case, on there you will find a sticker, again containing your engine code. the 3rd will be on the inside of your service book (which should be supplied)

as for going from the 106 to a bora, depends on how you feel with driving really, it could be a big step up from someone whos new to driving. i switched from a brava to my golf and i didnt notice much difference, but from a 106 to a bora is quite a big step up. id probably go for a couple of test drives. reasons being twofold, you get to feel how the bora drives and also, it is prudent to drive a few of the same car as the first one you drive may have faults which go unnoticed as your driving a new car etc etc. you may want to consider driving a golf, see how that feels as you could well prefer it.....:beerchug:

bora(ing) nick
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi just letting you that i have a black bora, 1.9tdi 100 PD, and opinion of the car is great.

I love the fact that it is a golf with a boot.

The engine is fast at the miniute, but i've got it booked in for chipping with celtictuning.co.uk, to take it from 100bhp, (177lb/ft torque) up to 145bhp, (257lb/ft torque), this increases the wear and tear on your half shafts, clutch, and brakes!!!!

I highly reccommend the Bora as a "jeckel and Hyde" car....

one minute you have excellent mpg, smooth ride, "family" car...

the next, your in the the turbo band, accellerating at a magnificent rate of knotts (especially for a diesel!!!)

good car!

unitzero
26-06-2007, 03:37 PM
looking at getting a Bora TDI too to replace my 06 Seat ibiza sport (petrol)

This thread has been very useful Thanks guys.