PDA

View Full Version : Attention Rev's Moving Up And Down Whilst Stationary

samirmanir
14-10-2008, 08:48 AM
i Have A 99 Audi A4 1.8t, And When Once The Car Is Warmed Up And Driving Through Conjested Traffic The Car Revs Drop And Feels As If The Car Will Switch Off Until I Accelerate. When I Drive The Car And Changing Gears It Feels The Car Is Loosing Power And Will Cut.

this Only Happens Once A Week And Triggers Off On Long Journeys.

I've changed throttle body and temperature sensor, taken it to various garages and they can't suss it out, i've even taken it to audi dealers and the numpties cant figure it out

HELP!!

any Ideas?

NickPicks
14-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Writing all in red makes my eyes hurt.

if it's hunting up and down while you're sat in traffic, it could be the idle stabiliser valve (I think they still have them?)

I'd say that the first thing to do is get it scanned for fault codes, and see if the ECU has any errors.

omegadirective
14-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Fault code readout should be the first port of call.

Then if inconclusive, check the throttle body.

Check the idle control Valve.

Check the Mass AirFlow Sensor (MAF).

They seem to be the most common faults people have on this forum. There are undoubtedly others but these are the most common to my knowledge.

Also, you do not necessarily have to check them in that order, but get the fault codes read first.

Sam
14-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Hunting is, usually (pinch of salt) the coolant temperature sensor.

Have someone check it for you.

Also, red and all CAPS isn't cool ;)

paul b
14-10-2008, 04:11 PM
As mentioned, a fault code read would be much cheaper than fiddling around throwing money at it and getting all annoyed.

If that proves inconclusive, then it will need further investigation.

You say you replaced the throttle body, well quite often they need adapting once cleaned or replaced. Has this been done?

Paul

samirmanir
15-10-2008, 12:12 PM
yep this has been done

As mentioned, a fault code read would be much cheaper than fiddling around throwing money at it and getting all annoyed.

If that proves inconclusive, then it will need further investigation.

You say you replaced the throttle body, well quite often they need adapting once cleaned or replaced. Has this been done?

Paul