PDA

View Full Version : NOOOooo MoT Failed!!!!!

SEMKY
13-10-2008, 01:37 PM
My pride and joy has failed its MoT for the first time ......sob

Rear springs have broken...both of them.....:bigeyes:

Any ideas how much this will cost?

bora(ing) nick
13-10-2008, 01:39 PM
It's quite common from what i can remember????

Not sure on price? sorry

SEMKY
13-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah the chap at votex said it was common on these....he just couldnt remember how much money...waiting for a quote now....:(

euroslap
13-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Nightmare, are you just going to put standard back on or use this as an excuse to upgrade?

SEMKY
13-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Hahah, nice thought Euro, but will have to stick to standard for a few reasons this time.....paying for 2 houses at the moment, and need the car done quick smart too....;)

euroslap
13-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Never mind Semky. These things happen, just have to get on with it. ;)

Eshrules
13-10-2008, 02:31 PM
rear springs should not cost that much to buy, or have fitted, so be careful a garage does not take advantage of your need for them to be done....

do make sure you fit new units though, second hand suspension parts are never a good idea IMHO

if you need any advice/help, update us matey :Blush:

SEMKY
13-10-2008, 03:08 PM
rear springs should not cost that much to buy, or have fitted, so be careful a garage does not take advantage of your need for them to be done....

do make sure you fit new units though, second hand suspension parts are never a good idea IMHO

if you need any advice/help, update us matey :Blush:

Cheers for that....I am in total agreement with you about second hand suspension bits....going with new OEM ones. The garage I use I think I can trust...they have done most of my work on this car...I hope anyway!!
Will update when I hear something!:beerchug:

SEMKY
14-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Right then guys,
Just had the quote....220 quid all in (parts, labour and re-test)...
Does that sound about right?:dunno:
The guy broke it down as 2 hours labour plus 50 quid each spring etc....

Any thoughts?

NickPicks
14-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Off the top of my head, that sounds reasonable. £50 per spring sounds OK, and it'd take me longer than 2 hours to fit them (but I'm only a weekend-when-I-have-to mechanic).

At least it didn't fail on anything too major!
My last car did a big time failure on exhaust and structural rust. At least it meant I could get rid of that horrible renault and buy another Audi!

bora(ing) nick
14-10-2008, 03:55 PM
That price sounds fair enough to me as well...

paul b
14-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Aye, that price sounds okay if you don't want to take it on yourself.

One thing I couldn't understand when my A6 went in, was that they said I had a brake light bulb out. I didn't, I'm sure. Also I had no ABS warning light on the dash which usually illuminates when a brake bulb goes out. :confused:

Oh well, it was about 95p so I'm not bothered!

But what I was bothered about was that there was an advisory on the brake hoses, because they were allegedly cracking. How the hell did he know? Because the brake hoses had not been touched, it was the look and texture of the muck! The hoses were perfect when I rubbed away the dirt!

CLOWN!

Paul

paulthefox
14-10-2008, 04:17 PM
sounds to me that he was tryin to make more money out of you got to watch some garages they would rob u blind:AR15firin

paul

paul b
14-10-2008, 04:31 PM
sounds to me that he was tryin to make more money out of you got to watch some garages they would rob u blind:AR15firin

paul
Thankfully I used to be in the trade. Imagine how many people they rob?!?!

Paul

SEMKY
14-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Aye, that price sounds okay if you don't want to take it on yourself.

Paul

A few years ago I would have done it myself...or at least buggered it up myself. :Blush2:
Now though, my house has a sloped driveway and no garage, and while my tools were fine for destructing mk2 minis and Mk1 Golfs, they are all a little feeble for this car (broke a few spanners and sockets on it already...think they must be made of tin foil)

SO it seems like a fair enough price then...Cheers for the responses chaps! :beerchug: