PDA

View Full Version : Faults on audi a3's 1.8t quattro

Dani_B19
12-10-2008, 08:51 PM
went to look at as the title says an a3 on satday, was on a y plate and it wasnt in the best of shape, front bumper had been hacked with a cheese grater, there was paint missing everywhere etc but anyway there was two major things that stood out with it. the first was the clocks, you know inbetween the rev counter and the speedo that lcd display, well it was missing line's so the display was broken up, 2. the rear quarter on the passenger side above the back window had about a 10 inch strip of raised/bubbled paint, couldnt tell if it was rust or what but the point is what do i needto keep an eye out for when looking for an a3?

cheers dani
btw sorry about the essay lol

euroslap
12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
went to look at as the title says an a3 on satday, was on a y plate and it wasnt in the best of shape, front bumper had been hacked with a cheese grater, there was paint missing everywhere etc but anyway there was two major things that stood out with it. the first was the clocks, you know inbetween the rev counter and the speedo that lcd display, well it was missing line's so the display was broken up, 2. the rear quarter on the passenger side above the back window had about a 10 inch strip of raised/bubbled paint, couldnt tell if it was rust or what but the point is what do i needto keep an eye out for when looking for an a3?

cheers dani
btw sorry about the essay lol

Make sure it's got a full history with a cambelt change at 60k and if it's making any strange noises or got any dash lights on personally I'd walk away. Use common sense, if it's a private buy you can usually tell how well it's been looked after by the owner and their enthusiasm for the car (and knowledge of) or lack of in some cases.

Dani_B19
12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Make sure it's got a full history with a cambelt change at 60k and if it's making any strange noises or got any dash lights on personally I'd walk away. Use common sense, if it's a private buy you can usually tell how well it's been looked after by the owner and their enthusiasm for the car (and knowledge of) or lack of in some cases.

cheers mate, is there also something about the water pump with these engines:confused:. well that was another thing the car only had part fsh and the engine didnt sound quite right

euroslap
12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
cheers mate, is there also something about the water pump with these engines:confused:. well that was another thing the car only had part fsh and the engine didnt sound quite right

Correctamundo, the water pump should be changed during the Cam Belt service. ;)

Dani_B19
12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
niceone mate. ill make sure i check for it now

omegadirective
13-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds like it's not worth the hassle to be honest. There are MANY examples of A3's out there for very little money now that are in fantastic condition.

Keep looking, and the best place I find A3's on is Pistonheads. Most people that advertise there know about their cars so you're almost guaranteed the car's been looked after. Care is still advised, as always. It's your hard earned cash at the end of the day!

Dani_B19
15-10-2008, 06:37 PM
also how many miles are the 1.8t v5 engines good for?