PDA

View Full Version : Passat query

ROSS HOWARD
11-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi all, Can anyone help here? I have recently purchased a Passat 1.9 TDI sport w reg.

I am starting to notice a lack of pull in 2nd and 3rd gear until the turbo "kicks in". This is especially frustrating going up a steep gradient, 1st gear required on times, or I have to approach it using the turbo.

Is this the norm for this car? Are there any general faults with Passat's?

Thanks in advance!!
Ross.

stuart
11-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi, Thanks for joining the website.

A very common problem with VAG diesels is the Air flow meter, or MAF sensor depending on terminology. When these fail, a common problem is a loss of power.

May be worth getting the car plugged into a diagnostic machine first, see if any fault codes appear, although if it is the above, nothing may show up.

I have heard that if you disconnect it, and try to drive, if faulty you should notice an improvement in performance, although this may need a warning light to be reset on the dash.

Hope this helps

Stuart

ROSS HOWARD
12-10-2005, 09:35 AM
:beerchug:

Thanks very much Stuart...very helpful!!

Is disconnecting the sensor an easy job to do? Would a manual assist me, or does it mean a trip to the garage

stuart
12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
You can do this yourself, there is a plug onto the air flow meter, but it may be better being checked out by a garage, because on some cars, disconnecting the unit may bring on the engine management fault light, which will need resetting using a diagnostic machine.

But I would always advise getting professional advise before messing with the car.

Stuart