PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Chrome to Black

sparksy
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
hello to everyone on here,am a new audi owner so still trying to find my way round the whole place.
I was just wondering if anyone has gone the route of replacing the chrome trim round the windows and front grills to black?
if so,did you source the trim from audi itself or on internet?
Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

big_pete
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Did this dechrome on my BM 5 series, and it looked great, best to buy direct, as the trim is very bendable and distorts, buy it new, is my advice

lucas88
14-10-2008, 12:50 PM
hello to everyone on here,am a new audi owner so still trying to find my way round the whole place.
I was just wondering if anyone has gone the route of replacing the chrome trim round the windows and front grills to black?
if so,did you source the trim from audi itself or on internet?
Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mate, I'll swap my black ones for your chrome ones if that's what you want to do..? I'd rather have the chrome ones. You can black out the grill trim easily by spraying, was thinking of going for this mod myself. Looks best on black or red A4s though, I think.
Removing the window trim looks relatively simple, the lower trim pulls straight up. The upper trim is slightly more difficult, there are small plugs that hold them in at the door and (I haven't checked this yet) but i'd imagine there are pins or something that holds them in at the top. The lower grill pops straight out and the upper grill does aswell but it has tabs that hold it in and is a little more tricky. just needs a wiggle.
Hope this helps.

Lucas

sparksy
14-10-2008, 08:36 PM
hows it going fella.
Yeah,im well up for changing trims if your up for it fella.
one thing though..my chrome trim is faded in parts and does need a gd clean up to bring it back up to form.but if your happy with that,im willing to chuck you some cash aswell for the trim?
I was thinking of spraying the front grills but have decided against it,and have ordered 2 matt black grills direct of audi instead.they were cheaper than ebay as the only ones i could find were in america,searched everywhere in the uk on internet.
im in germany at the mo but am driving back to south wales in a couple of wks.so if you were up for doing the swap id be more than willing to meet.
I havent looked at taking them off as i was afraid of breaking them hahaha.you reckon you could get them off both cars?
how does that sound? you got an s4 then?if so,what colour have you got the black trim on?

lucas88
15-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Yea I should be able to sort it. I'll have a fiddle around with it this weekend and see what I can come up with. Had a brief look today and the top seems to have pins keeping it in place. May be the case that they are single use but I'll check it out. Been looking for some chrome trim for a while but dealer wants a ridiculous price for a new set. Na just got an A4, mine's in blue which I think goes nicely with the chrome or aluminium. What colour's your A4? Tinting would look really good if you're going for the black out effect.

n_c
15-10-2008, 05:41 PM
You're right - my A4's in Ocean Blue. Looks really good with the chrome trim. :D

sparksy
15-10-2008, 10:14 PM
how much did the dealer qupte you for a chrome window trim set?
cause when i ordered my 2 front grills,i tried getting him to look for the black window trim etc but he wasnt quite sure on the exact parts..so didnt want to quote me until i went to the dealer to verify that was the parts i wanted.
ive got a black s4..so with the black trim,and the new matt black front grills coming..should look v nice :-)
im defo going for the black out effect...next on my list are 19 satin black ch's..unless someone else has a better look on it?
As i said before,my trim does need a gd buff up to bring it back up..so willing to give you some cash asweell as the swap..only fair like ;-)

lucas88
16-10-2008, 12:06 PM
That sounds good mate yea. As for the rims, feeling the satin black but a chrome lip might be a nice contrast on it. just to mix it up a bit. How much were you charged for the grills in the end? You got the aluminium wing mirrors on yours then?
Can't remember how much I got quoted now, was a few hundred notes though, think it was broken down into 6 sections: the top bit on each side and the bit running along the bottom of the window on each door. off the top of my head, think it was something like £500. I actually need to replace a bit of the rubber pillar trim (not the stuff going around the windows) on mine, which has a little tear but i don't know how to take it off.

sparksy
16-10-2008, 09:12 PM
hmmmmm...will have to photo shop a chrome lip...am loving the all black 'murdered out' (as the yanks like to call it!!hahaha) look!!
yeah,got the alu/chrome wing mirrors on there to.
the grills were 70 quid a piece..radiator and bottom centre grills.matt black.not too bad i thought!!
thats a hefty sum for the trims isnt it..******* hell...wouldnt have thought it'd be that much!!!
i think theres 8 sections for the trim (well there is on mine lol)..one running along the top,but it breaks by the back corner window into a little corner piece.then the 2 pieces,one for either window on the bottom bits.can you check to see if yours is same,otherwise we might have a problem haha.

lucas88
17-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Yea you're right i think it was 8. there are those little mini windows at the back aswell. You going to leave the wing morrors on then or get black housings instead? Seen some nice looking black carbon fibre ones on fleebay that might be worth a look if you're going for it....

sparksy
18-10-2008, 12:08 AM
thats awesome if they're 8n piece..just need to work out how to get the buggers off!!!hahaha
well i was thinking of keeping the wing mirrors as they are,so they stand out from the all black..but see how it looks when its all together.

lucas88
18-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Yea they're really easy to get off. If you do want to replace them then give me a shout and il send you a guide for it. when you back in GB mate? I haven't had a chance to look at removing the trim yet, I'll do it tomorrow if I get a chance.

killakeev
18-10-2008, 06:45 PM
how do you take off the chrome trim under the trunk?
lol

bez101
18-10-2008, 09:37 PM
how do you take off the chrome trim under the trunk?
lol

it just pops up sayin that wen i took mune off i broke 2 clips but then again i was replacing with a new 1

sparksy
18-10-2008, 11:35 PM
ill be back in GB in 2 wks.but only for 5 days,then im off to oz for 2wks..then im in GB for a while..
so if you still want to meet up when i get back from oz and do the switcheroo,would be perfect!!

lucas88
19-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Yea souds good mate. just pm me whe you're back or something.

sparksy
19-10-2008, 01:11 PM
will do fella :-)