PDA

View Full Version : Engine problem

atxsystems
06-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi,
Can anyone explain to a thickie.
i have experienced power & water loss, and then it failed to start the other day, i thought head gasket / piston rings maybe???
I had a local garage pick it up and they have said the Air flow meter needs replacing due to it being full of oil??:confused: and new battery??
When i asked where the oil came from he couldnt answer but said it would solve my problem, so i am getting this replaced this week but my confidence in the garage is very limited.
Any help would be appreciated

Forgot to mention that the temperature gauge kept falling to zero after a few miles

Thanks
Craig

atxsystems
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Garaged has changed the Air flow meter £76.00 and temp sensor £30.00.
Oil in the meter came from over filling the oil, my fault, didnt leave it long enough to settle (dipstick!).

Anyway, what a difference!! Feels like a new engine :biglaugh:

No longer rough in second gear at low revs.
Power has returned
Temperature gauge stays at 90
Fuel economy back to normal

As for the loss in water, the garage have found no faults or problems but said to keep an eye on it.

Total Cost £145.00

blaconbomber
25-10-2007, 08:42 PM
alright mate, sounds similar to whats happening to my car can you tell me what model yours is and engine size as im also a thickie and unsure if my engine even has these parts lol

atxsystems
25-10-2007, 10:57 PM
alright mate, sounds similar to whats happening to my car can you tell me what model yours is and engine size as im also a thickie and unsure if my engine even has these parts lol

Alright, Its a 1.8 Mk4 Golf GTi, its stupid actually! My problem was because I overfilled the oil, only because when the car needs a service, the stupid germans made it flash "OIL" on the dash, not knowing (RTFM), i kept refilling, which eventually caused the power problems. The temp sensor still plays up now and then but no more water leeks, inside or out and although the engine did catch fire beginning of last year (£245, damp electrics), due to the car sunroof leaking, cheap and a simple fix, the cars been brilliant for the last 20,000 miles.
After searching the internet for my cars problems, i can only tell you that alot of golfs/boras have the same issues (Leaks Electrics Engine) but all had different solutions.
So, whats happened to yours, have you had some look at it yet??