PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Condensation

redmax90
06-02-2007, 09:31 PM
hey all, i just changed my headlights to anniversary ones they are brand new vw parts but since ive installed them there sometimes is a little condensation in the lenses..its a little frustrating ..but i think the lights are vented and it will go away with time especially when the temperature increases in summer. is this correct or should i think about doing something else. i had condsidered lieaving 2 sachets of silica gel in each headlight to help.
any thots ?
chris

vwgolfturbo
06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
i havent experienced condensation problems in a vw,but i did when i put lexus lights on the back of another of my cars,and yes its frustrating alright,i'm sorry to say but mine didnt get any better in the summer months either, mine were not vented as far i am aware tho,so that should surely stop the condensation,or so u would think.make sure your vents are clear. sorry but i cant think why they would condensate

Eshrules
07-02-2007, 12:08 AM
if theyve got vents in, it could just be the extreme temps were experiencing at the moment dont forget, no glass surface will like goin from -3.5c to whatever heat is generated with those xenons, dont worry to much about it for now mate, see how it goes towards spring, if you get any more problems, i do know that its possible to get special silica packs as you mention.

as for those rear lexus lights, i have a set of those, condensation is a constant problem, just took them off it got that irritating :zx11:

Teutonic_Tamer
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Headlamp condensation sadly seems to be the norm these days. Look in your owners manual, and you will probably see a disclaimer somewhere that it is normal !!!

Rgds

Eshrules
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Headlamp condensation sadly seems to be the norm these days. Look in your owners manual, and you will probably see a disclaimer somewhere that it is normal !!!

Rgds

suprisingly enough, my condensation problem is with my side repeaters, no matter how hard i try, even with silicone/vaseline, everything, i cant seem to stop it! headlights are fine with mine :confused: figure that one out LOL

redmax90
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
gettin there guys i think..a packet of silica gel taped to the headlight cover at the back and it seems to be working !
:D !!! the lights look sooooooooooo cool btw lol the anniversary ones :)

Teutonic_Tamer
08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
vaseline

Shhhhh, it's meant for "other" things, doncha know ;)

Eshrules
09-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Shhhhh, it's meant for "other" things, doncha know ;)

oi 'twiddler' are you stalking my posts :P if you ent got nothin nice to say... LOL im not sure what it is about the aftermarket lights, poor workmanship or poor materials? but ive not seen a single set of aftermarket lights fit as they should, nor be free of condensation :confused:

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 09:49 AM
oi 'twiddler'

LOL, that's twice I've been called a twiddler - best go and see my shrink, who'll no doubt tell me to get out more. ;)

are you stalking my posts :P

I'm commin' to get ya' :D

im not sure what it is about the aftermarket lights, poor workmanship or poor materials? but ive not seen a single set of aftermarket lights fit as they should, nor be free of condensation :confused:

It's probably the "chavtastic" ones that are advertised in MaxMuppets or SlowFord mags! I have some aftermarket clear lenses in the rear of my S4, but they are made by Hella, who also made the OEM lights, and they are also "E" approved, and don't mist up.

Eshrules
09-02-2007, 10:19 AM
LOL, that's twice I've been called a twiddler - best go and see my shrink, who'll no doubt tell me to get out more. ;)

I'm commin' to get ya' :D

It's probably the "chavtastic" ones that are advertised in MaxMuppets or SlowFord mags! I have some aftermarket clear lenses in the rear of my S4, but they are made by Hella, who also made the OEM lights, and they are also "E" approved, and don't mist up.

well i must confess :P i did see you being called a twiddler and quite liked the nickname LOL

hella would seem the way to go then? i've got my eyes on some black hella at the moment, must admit they look a ton better than any 'chavtastic' lenses ive seen.

and yesh, i agree, you should see a brain doctor :outtahere

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
well i must confess :P i did see you being called a twiddler and quite liked the nickname LOL

Blatant plagarism - eh? ;)

and yesh, i agree, you should see a brain doctor :outtahere

I know, SWMBO says the same, but she 'aint too confident - when she looks in one of my ears she can see out the other ;) :biglaugh:

redmax90
09-02-2007, 03:53 PM
my anniversary ones came from vw .. the are made by valeo ..theres no need for aweful lexus imitation rear lenses either ..they look soooooo sooooooo common now

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 04:36 PM
my anniversary ones came from vw .. the are made by valeo

Valeo stuff is fine - just like Hella, they make a lot of OEM stuff.

theres no need for aweful lexus imitation rear lenses either ..they look soooooo sooooooo common now

Too true, although I can think of more appropriate thoughts :yawn: :puke: :rocketwho :***:

Rgds

Eshrules
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
although we seem to have transgressed a little from the origional post, i quite like the 'colour coding' of rear lights, theres a passat owner on here (name escapes me d'oh) whos coloured his rear lenses the same as his reflex silver passat, im considering doing the same to some spare rear clusters, id have to figure out the reflectors though....:beerchug:

redmax90
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
although we seem to have transgressed a little from the origional post, i quite like the 'colour coding' of rear lights, theres a passat owner on here (name escapes me d'oh) whos coloured his rear lenses the same as his reflex silver passat, im considering doing the same to some spare rear clusters, id have to figure out the reflectors though....:beerchug:

DONT ! :D

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 07:55 PM
although we seem to have transgressed a little from the origional post,

Hang on a mo, I'm just poppin round yours to tip half a pint of water in your headlights ;) :D

i quite like the 'colour coding' of rear lights, theres a passat owner on here (name escapes me d'oh) whos coloured his rear lenses the same as his reflex silver passat, im considering doing the same to some spare rear clusters, id have to figure out the reflectors though....:beerchug:

Ohhh nooooooooooooooooooooo - that looks really sad. Do it and you will be a Pikey of momentous stature! :puke:

redmax90
09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
exactly yht point i was trying to make teutronic ....VAG stuff is meant to be subtle..u want pikey lights ..buy a corsa ! :D:)

Teutonic_Tamer
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
exactly yht point i was trying to make teutronic

I know, it just need emphasizing with a technicolour yawn ;)

....VAG stuff is meant to be subtle..u want pikey lights ..buy a corsa ! :D:)

Too true.

Eshrules
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I know, it just need emphasizing with a technicolour yawn ;)

Too true.

pikey? corsa? subtle? ok, 3 profanities within the same sentance, tisch! LOL im looking to make my golf stand out, im sick of the 'subtle' look, it just looks like any other golf, hence the wacky ideas :p im sure you can understand what i mean, i dont want the golf to be a chavmobile, i just want to make it a little individual.....

redmax90
10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
first of all ! ..wat ur talking of doin with ur lights is not stand out ..its aweful ! :D truly aweful ! .....if u want fantastic lights that u wont see every man having ..try these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK4-4-IV-Crystal-Black-Design-Rear-Lights-HELLA_W0QQitemZ140083713277QQihZ004QQcategoryZ7224 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

redmax90
11-02-2007, 12:01 AM
hi andy, im 20 and vw mad but i kno to keep it subtle..for the cars and my sake lol :D i have a 2001 golf tdi 90 s....i have gti rear clusters and anniversary headlights ...and 17'' rs4 reps. the only other thing i minte consider is a little boot spoiler ..the end ! :):):biglaugh:

redmax90
11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
a picture before the gti lights ..front and rear ..new one coming soon ! :D218

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
rule of thumb as i see it is classy up grades do not come cheap , . . . i all ways look at higher spec cars in the same vain Ie if you have a low spec car have a look at what the higher spec cars have to offer then improvise, . . . just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone, each to there own at the end of the day ;)
Andy

Agreed ;) - it's the upgrades which are not obvious, that don't draw attention, which are the best IMHO too.

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Stick the pic in your Avatar then ;) .

BTW, the RS4 rims don't quite do it for me on the Golf, but each to their own! :D

redmax90
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
yea each to ur own..ur rite ..i really like them ..i was gonna get rs6s then i thot everybody has them ..ive only seen one other golf with rs4s ..but some day ill maybe change them to fox r4s ..oooooooo they look so sweet ! :D

Teutonic_Tamer
11-02-2007, 04:32 PM
yea each to ur own..ur rite ..i really like them ..i was gonna get rs6s then i thot everybody has them ..ive only seen one other golf with rs4s ..but some day ill maybe change them to fox r4s ..oooooooo they look so sweet ! :D

Boys and their toys, eh ! ;) :D

Eshrules
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
get those bump strips colour coded and youll be laughing ..... :beerchug: