PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.6 power steering problems, Help.

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi there,
I have had a really bad day today. I started my car and whilst defrosting it i noticed some smoke coming from the back of the engine. I decided to take it to the garage to get it checked out, but before i could go the car set on fire at the very bottem of the engine. Very scary. I managed to put it out quick and towed it to a garage. The mechanic told me that the power steering was leeking straight onto the exhaust (hence my fire). He said there is no reall fire damage and the car still starts. But he could not see where the leak was coming from exactly. And said it will prob need a new steering rack. But cant tell untill the old one is taken off. He also refused to do the job as he said its a really **** job to do. Is there any comon faults with the power steering leaking that i should look for or do you all think i need a new rack. Also has anyone any idea how long a job it is to repalce a steering rack on a 1996 A4 2.6.
Please Help. Cheers Mark.

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
What is the lower section of the hose metal or rubber and where does it connect too. Also is it easily fixed or replaced>
Cheers.

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Lower section of the hose ;)

I have done a reply to your message but not sure if i done it right, can you check my link on power steering again.
Thanks Mark.

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
What link?????

Its a rubber hose that goes into a metal sleeve and 9/10 that is where the leak starts.

Can this rubber hose be purchased easily and is it easy to change?
Cheers Mark.

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Mark i`ll be honest with you , i have never actualy heard of power steering fluid catching fire, dont audi`s use hydraulic mineral oil for the p/s fliud? are you sure its not fuel related?

Yes it is Hydraulic mineral oil for the power steering fluid. The fire only happened once the exhuast got hot before that it was just smoking a lot. The mechanic who looked under the car said its deffinatly the power steering fluid leaking as when the steering is turned it comes out more. This rubber pipe you are talking about can that be done easily or would it need a mechanic? Also where can you get the part?

Cheers

markcass
06-02-2007, 08:57 PM
You said in your first post that there was no sign of a leak, if you had power steering fliud leaking enough to cause a fire belive me you would see it, i had a small leak on a bmw of mine and it makes a right mess and that was just a small leak, petrol on the other hand would evapourate (spelling) making it harder to spot.

I said the mechanic could not tell where it was leaking from. Also the smell of the smpke was like power steering fluid and deffinatly not a smell of petrol. Then when we moved the car back out of his garrage there was power steering fluid on the floor.

markcass
06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
"The mechanic who looked under the car said its deffinatly the power steering fluid leaking as when the steering is turned it comes out more."

You first need to find out where it was coming out from, before you make any purchases of any parts other wise you could end up throwing good money after bad, get the car up in the air get your self in a good postion where as you can see the area from which the leak started and have a second person turning the wheel, take a photo if ness and post it up here, if the leak is coming from the rack area it could be any number of joints/pipes ect , if your mech said the more you turn the wheel the more it came out it shouldn`t be that hard to find.
Best thing to do is not panic ,there are a lot of helpfull guys on this site im sure if not myself someone will be able to help ;)

Ok i will do and maybe get back to you soon.
Thanks very much for your advice.
Cheers Mark

markcass
06-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I have just made a quick call to a friend of mine who is preety clued up on this as he does work on audis for a living, he say that the rack its self is a bit of a pain the chance on the v6 but feel its unlikely to be to fault more likely to be a fracture on one of the joints or a leaking seal 9 times out of ten an easy ish repair , where abouts are you? pm me if you perfer.
Andy

Hi Andy,
I dont know how to pm (personal message) i presume.
But i live in London Nr Stratford.
Cheers any help is most aprieciated.

damogreg
16-06-2007, 11:12 AM
hi Mark, have you had any news on this problem, i have an A4 2.6 also and having exact same problem, i got aa out and they said it was steering rack gaiter leaking, i took it to 2 garages who both wanted 500 to change whole steering rack, let me know how your getting on mate, as i cant afford that and need car for work, cheers mate.

evilscotsman
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I have the same problem, i reckon its the trackrod end seals if you know what i mean, at the sliding ends of the rack (nearside on mine)

The boot fills with oil then squirts out on turns, i have priced racks from £100 and its not a complicated piece but the rest of the car is in the way lol.

My local garage quoted 4 hours labour (£25 per hr) to swap my rack for another one if i bring the rack with me. I think you are looking at £200 minimum then, or take one off a breaker (a passat rack is identical on the A4) and get that replaced, at least you would know how hard it was to remove.

Additives dont work - the mineral G00200 oil used by Audi is heavy and thin leak-sealers will just leak right out. I tried them all.

btw to PM you click on someone's name then select "send a private message"

G11LLK
24-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I have got the same problem on my 1996 2.6 v6 anyone had this fixed yet, how much does it cost, can it be done at home and whats involved with changing the rack??

rhencullen1989
24-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi, i replaced the steering rack on my Audi A4 1.8T (1996) myself a couple of years ago. Basically it was leaking fluid into the gaitors and the first i knew about it was the fluid level dropping in the reservoire. Its not too bad a job if you are averagely competent with the spanners, the rack its self is only held in with 3 bolts, you do NOT have to remove the o/s suspension like the haynes manual says, just remove both front wheels and block the car in the air by a foot or two. The rack comes out of the drivers side (o/s) wheel arch. the worst bit is accesability, its all a bit tight in there, removing the hydraulic pipes from the rack needs a small hand (get the misses to help!) and measure the track rod ends with a vernier calliper before removing. Inside the car you have to remove some trim below the steering wheel and the nut holding the column to the steering rack. Turn the bolt inside the car anti-clockwise, its not threaded but on a cam!! this took me ages to work out! Doh! Hope this helps and have fun.

G11LLK
30-10-2007, 10:08 PM
problem is mine is a v6 so if the 1.8 is tight for space I can understand why my garage refused to do the task, oh well Ill just keep topping it up every 2-3 weeks, incidently anyone looking for a 2.6 v6 I am thinking of selling it as I have found a new job 10mins walk from me??