PDA

View Full Version : Seat wear

mkc
08-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Ive got half leather standard S Line seats and Ive noticed that the side of my drivers seat is beginning to go saggy. Its the bit to the right where you sit, not the side bolster part.

I dont have a bulky frame, in fact when Im sat down my thighs dont even touch the leather parts. I can only imagine that its the fact I sit on it as I get out of the car.

Is this normal. Just seams to me that the leather is poor or the sponge behind it is very soft and its all beginning to lose its shape. On the other hand the headrest seems very good solid quality.

Ill take a photo at some point,.

euroslap
08-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Has it done many miles? It really shouldn't start to sag in a car this new.

mkc
08-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Delivered on 1st September, 1300 miles. Short commutes so in and out of the car only really once on a daily basis.

euroslap
08-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd go and argue the toss with the dealership, it's not on really is it? :(

JohnH99
08-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd go and argue the toss with the dealership, it's not on really is it? :(

I tried with mine and got told that the seats were wearing within expectations.:mad:

Best of luck.

euroslap
08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I tried with mine and got told that the seats were wearing within expectations.:mad:

Best of luck.

What ever happened to customer service? :aargh4:

BMWBig6
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Please post up some photos of what you're talking about.

mkc
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Here we go, looks like an Elephants bum

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mkcurtis/08102008054.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mkcurtis/08102008055.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mkcurtis/08102008056.jpg

Thats not normal after 6 weeks and 1000 mile surely.

BMWBig6
08-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Is this the outboard or inboard bolster?

mkc
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Outboard, so its the bit I put all my weight on (Im not a heavy chap) as I get in and out of the car. I know this is the first part of the seat that will show wear and tear but just surpised at this after such a short time. Ive had leather in other cars and it never did this.

Im not going to complain to anyone but I guess Ill see how it goes after 6-9 months. I didnt pay for the car so Ill leave it with the lease company and Audi if it gets bad. I just dont want to foot the bill when it comes to giving it back!

Sam
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Is it real leather or some sort of synthetic substitute.

I seem to remember a similar argument/issue with the older B5 platform Passats.

kw13
08-10-2008, 06:04 PM
This seems to be a long standing problem that may even go back to the A5`s. have a look at this:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42273&highlight=seats+sagging

may be worth talking with dealers some more.
:mad:

k6rff
08-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Yep. Same with mine after 850 miles - S Line, silver stitching 1.8T. I'm of moderate build, hardly obese at 15.5 stones but noticed this starting after a couple of days. I think the support foam is a little suspect as you have to put most of your weight onto the outboard edge of the seat as you leave the vehicle.

nm2003
08-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I am paranoid about the same part of the seat, and from day1, have been careful, not to put too much weight on the side of the seat, when getting in and out.

I also had this problem on a B5 passat.

I have full leather sports seats, so the side bolster looks more firmer.

jkh112
09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
me too, s-line with the sports seats in leather/cloth and the side bolster on the outboard side is looking a bit wrinkled.

JohnH99
09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I posted a pic in another thread on a similar subject

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43467

This was taken in July and its now worse, the car has done approx 9000 miles. The support (foam?) in the outer bolster seems to be collapsing and the leather on the seat base itself appears to be loose as if there is too much of it although that's probably me being too picky. I'll post a more recent pic later if I get chance to get out at lunchtime.

Jop
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mkcurtis/08102008056.jpg
Thats not normal after 6 weeks and 1000 mile surely.

I didnt pay for the car so Ill leave it with the lease company and Audi if it gets bad. I just dont want to foot the bill when it comes to giving it back!
I did pay for my car and had this of happened to me I would be there everyday until something was done.
on a 30k car this is unacceptable.
(although my radio has never worked FM/AM/MW. the dealers have finally agreed that there is a fault and will be replacing the antenna amplifier.
you can imagine i was fuming after paying good money for entertainment upgrade (DVD nav, b&o, AMI) and it couldnt even play radio one)

I had my last audi ('52 a3) for 5 years. It had leather seats, and even after all that time it didnt get too bad. (it wore/stretched for sure.. but not at this speed) Im as skinny as a rake though @ 11stone

JohnH99
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Pics as mentioned previously, Audi claim that this is acceptable.

mkc
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Woah..... thats not good. How can that be accetable. I have a leather sofa at home which has a cat, me and the Mrs and a 2 year old use it like a bed, trampoline etc and its not like that. I very much suspect that the leather in your A4 cost more than my sofa too.

This is poor from Audi.

scottishbud
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Thats not acceptable!

Red 2
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
My all leather SE (comfort seats) has a little sag on the part of the drivers seat that you actually sit on but no more than that and, tbh, just what you would expect. No wear however on adjacent bits. My leather kitted Golf also suffered sag on the front seats but after 6 months it got no worse and was within tolerance.

Was parked beside a '58 3 series and a '08 5 series today and the latter had positive waves of leather and ripples across all flat areas of both front seats but the 3 series had limited sag simliar to my A4.

So not a problem limited to Audi I think...wonder if it is related to the particular hide used?

B6Andy101
10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Jop - My S-Line Cloth / Leather combo is exactly as your picture.

The difference is that it is the ouside bolster on the passenger seat that has been used only a handfull of times. The drivers seat whch has had over 2k of use is fine.

To me this suggests that it may not be just wear but the type of hyde used.

As it is a visual wrinke that hasvery little relief to it I am just gong to sit tight and see what happens.

I would welcome any feedback from those that have visited dealers with this.

pastrybloke19
11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Hiya all,

I noticed some serious sagging in my seats after only about 300 miles! I have now done 1k miles and they are still looking pants. (milano Leather)

And I agree with Jop: on a £30k car with Leather seats, it is complete unacceptable. I didn't pay an extra £1k or so for sagging seats...... :confused:

Anyway I told the dealer about a week ago and I will be chasing up later today. If they try and fob me off that it is a 'charactisitic' or that it is normal; I am going hit them like a ton of bricks! My brother has a mid-high range Pug 308 with leather seats that on that only cost £17k; and that hasn't sagged!. :zx11:

Safe to say I am not a happy bunny...... I will kep you lot posted on what they say.

Hi res picture can be found here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pastrybloke19/DodgySeat#