PDA

View Full Version : Buying Cars

audipersempre
08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Bought many many cars in my time and must have got a bit lax as I get older. Read this and if you are buying a car make sure you check all the documentation.

Friday 26th Sept went to pick up a 2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec-S diesel for my daughter. She had been waiting for this car since passing her GCSE exams (expensive incentive to achieve from Dad!).

Kent to Bishops Stortford it drove lovely. Monday 29th Sept she drove it to college in Cambridge no problem. Then it broke down on the M11 on the way home. Catastrophic failure of the bottom radiator hose and over heated. Towed home by the RAC.

Tuesday 30th Sept in to the local Ford dealer for repair. Test drive after repair reveals blown head gasket. On removing the head it was too warped to skim. Buy a new head right? Nope, on that engine the block and head are a matched pair. I have confirmed this through an authorised Ford parts agent. You cannot order a cylinder head alone for that car Ford don't even list it! So new engine at around 5 grand required!

Then the fun starts and my first mistake. Bought the car from a Vauxhall main dealer. I asked to see the service book when we first went to look at the car and they said they hadn't got it on site all documents are held at head office. Of course when we go to collect the car I can see the second service was done 8 months later than scheduled. Still we bought the car.

Now who is going to pay for the engine? The seller said it was fine when they sold it to us so it isn't their problem, the mickey mouse third party warranty company said they would cover the cost of the hose failure but not the subsequent damage and Ford said their 3 year warranty didn't cover it as the last service was done late!! Now I am looking at a £5k bill :(

After further protracted discussions Ford agree the failure wasn't a service related item so they would cover it under warranty if I supplied the proof of purchase to show we bought the car after the last service so it was the previous owners error.

Here was the next issue and my second mistake. Ford get the proof of purchase and reject the claim again pointing out the car had only covered 31 miles before it broke down so it is the selling dealers problem. Clearly this was wrong as the drive from Kent to home was more than 80 miles! I then find the salesman who made out the invoice couldn't be bothered to check the actual mileage on the car so he guessed it and rounded the figure up!! Actually the car covered 176 miles before it broke down.

More phone calls and chasing around to get the Vauxhall dealer to prove the actual mileage to Ford which they did yesterday afternoon. Now I am holding my breath and waiting to see if Ford comes up with another objection :(

Through this saga I also find out Ford have issues with this part. It is a rigid plastic coolant pipe and fails often (maybe due to the heat or vibration). If you have, or know someone that has, a MK6 Fiesta diesel with the Zetec engine I strongly advise you to get it checked out.

Moral of this story. Always check the full documents and all the details when you purchase a car!!

smithysmudger
08-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Sore one m8 it always the same when things go pear shaped all the people that were dancing through hoops to please you don't want to know once the cheque has cleared. :(

SEMKY
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow, thats a real bum deal mate, sorry to hear it!:(
On the other hand, I appreciate the heads up cos the Girlf is just about to buy one of these Fiestas.....and there is no way either of us can afford a 5k bill now! :yikes:

P Maddison
15-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Try looking into the SMMT code of practice for new cars and those who have a manufacturers warranty.The retailer must clearly state what may affect your claim on warrantied faults before you sign on the dotted line.Search on google under SMMT code of practice.Its probably easier if you go through it yourself and relate the waffle to your case.They may say it refers to their own brand of cars, but its worth a go.Keep on at them and NEVER give up.

audipersempre
16-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Things have moved on. Tuesday the car was collected from Gates on a flat bed and taken to a more cooperative Ford dealer in Kent where a new engine will be fitted and the cost picked up by the third party warranty company and the dealer we bought the car from. The Vauxhall dealer franchise is huge and had only given the third party warranty company the business a few weeks before this happened so I think they threatened to pull their business if the warranty company didn't step up and help!!

As for Ford's warranty department I have not finished with them yet :zx11:

euroslap
16-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Things have moved on. Tuesday the car was collected from Gates on a flat bed and taken to a more cooperative Ford dealer in Kent where a new engine will be fitted and the cost picked up by the third party warranty company and the dealer we bought the car from. The Vauxhall dealer franchise is huge and had only given the third party warranty company the business a few weeks before this happened so I think they threatened to pull their business if the warranty company didn't step up and help!!

As for Ford's warranty department I have not finished with them yet :zx11:

That's cracking news mate, very fortunate. :approve:

audipersempre
19-11-2008, 11:23 AM
And just to finish the story..................

New engine fitted week before last, test driven, turbo blown! It was taken off the old engine and presumably expired when the engine oil got very hot.

Warranty company refused to pay for the turbo too so the Vauxhall dealer had to cough up the £800 for it!

Car delivered back to my daughter last Thursday with brand new factory engine and turbocharger nearly 7 weeks after it broke down.

All in all a result as the car is practically as good as new and it didn't cost me a penny :beerchug:

euroslap
19-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Make sure she warms it up and lets it cool down properly to try and avoid any recurring nightmares. Very good news. :D

Audi A4 Lover
19-11-2008, 12:30 PM
phew!A lucky escape there it seems!Is the new engine covered by a warranty?

audipersempre
20-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes a one year warranty on the engine and turbo and there is still three months of the Ford 3 year warranty left on the rest of the car.

Fingers crossed she has a long stretch of happy motoring now!

Of course I have to go round the house regularly to check the oil and water. No chance of my ex wife or her boyfriend helping out. Can't even get them to help her check the tyres once a week. Apparently I bought the car so it is my responsibility :zx11: