PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Dashboard Rattle near drivers side screen

sunil1234
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi there

So had the 2.0tdi saloon for a couple of months now from new. There is a strange vibration that usually sounds like its coming from the drivers side windscreen area almost like static from the speakers but its not the speakers. Sometimes it sounds like its the centre of the dash but more the pillar area

I have tried applyin pressure to the vent surround, dash pod area, steering colum bits but it remains.

Does anyone have any idea on what on earth it could be as its damn annoying?

TIA

S

SportyB8
08-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Could be the center speaker cover, mine occasionally rattles - Going to get Audi to sort when it goes in for a service.

sunil1234
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
thanks will try putting my hand on that to see if it helps!

S

Sheroo
09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I've encountered a rattle/creak as well, just can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from. It seems to be either underneath the drivers seat or somewhere around the dash and only intermittently.

sunil1234
13-10-2008, 02:18 PM
hmm, speaker grills not the issue. Just cant pinpoint it, sometimes just sounds like the a-pillar and sometimes like the whole centre of the dash around the radio:zx11:

kelvinbishop
13-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I have this rattle to. It is very intermittent. It happens over rough surfaces and seems to happen more at lower temperature. I think the dealer woud definately say 'no fault found' if I took the car in. If anyone finds the cause or the dealer fixes it, then please let us all know what the cause is.

alexcf
14-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I had this realy fustrating rattle, and I really really hate anything that rattles... Ended up being my mobile phone in the little pockets in the middle console.. :| (OK, that wasn't very helpful input, but anyway..!)

Sheroo
14-10-2008, 11:09 AM
After getting various family members to sit with me to help identify this rattle I got nowhere. We found the odd creak when going over rough surfaces but we put that down to clothes and leather rubbing together !

Anyway, yesterday on a long journey to Cambridge I think I've found the answer. The rattle seems to appear a when I put the car into gear 6, I changed it to gear 5 and the rattle stopped. I am therefore thinking mine comes from around the gearbox when in 6 and at around 60MPH+.

Any suggestions before I take it in to the Audi dealer ?

awtaylor
14-10-2008, 12:33 PM
After getting various family members to sit with me to help identify this rattle I got nowhere. We found the odd creak when going over rough surfaces but we put that down to clothes and leather rubbing together !

Anyway, yesterday on a long journey to Cambridge I think I've found the answer. The rattle seems to appear a when I put the car into gear 6, I changed it to gear 5 and the rattle stopped. I am therefore thinking mine comes from around the gearbox when in 6 and at around 60MPH+.

Change down to 5th? :biglaugh:

browellm
15-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Yes, yes indeed. I had the same problem, hopefully I can solve it for you.

In 6th there is a fold or crease in the leatherette cover over the gear lever between it and the transmission tunnel. This rubs and makes the noise you've been getting. If you stick your finger in this crease it will disappear. Over time, I found that constantly doing this moves where the fold sits and the rattle is now gone for good.

awtaylor
15-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Had exactly the same problem with my B7 resolved in the same way.

Apologies for my previously unhelpful and flippant response, feeling more responsible and helpful today ;)

sunil1234
16-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I have this rattle to. It is very intermittent. It happens over rough surfaces and seems to happen more at lower temperature. I think the dealer woud definately say 'no fault found' if I took the car in. If anyone finds the cause or the dealer fixes it, then please let us all know what the cause is.

Do you mean same as me?. Mine has got louder since getting the car. At first it was only near the a-pillar but now the centre of the dash (think somewhere around the radio) can humm too. It usually happens at 60mph and above and i do a lot of driving on the motorway so the engine is warm by then. Got a feeling the a-pillar might be something to do with the glass? but it can sometimes be heard above low radio volumes!:mad:

Any other ideas peeps?

allya
16-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi, I have exactly the same noise coming from my drivers door area - initially thought it was the A-pillar, glass or B-pillar. My dealer has examined it extensively but cannot find the fault. The noise appears when going over rough ground and sounds as if there is a gap in the seal - but the dealer cant find a fault - its starting to drive me mad....

sunil1234
17-10-2008, 08:45 AM
well i tried the 6th gear gaiter fold thing mentioned earlier in this thread last night on the way home as i too noticed it was only making noise when in 6th gear and not 5th.

And guess what!

The noises have ALL GONE!

Superb, try it and see!

S

sunil1234
17-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, yes indeed. I had the same problem, hopefully I can solve it for you.

In 6th there is a fold or crease in the leatherette cover over the gear lever between it and the transmission tunnel. This rubs and makes the noise you've been getting. If you stick your finger in this crease it will disappear. Over time, I found that constantly doing this moves where the fold sits and the rattle is now gone for good.

rep added!:beerchug::beerchug:

browellm
17-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Awesome, glad it works.

Sheroo
17-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Nice one browellm...I was messing with that whilst driving and it's done the trick. I can still hear the odd vibration or rattle but reckon it's all the coins and bits and bobs I have lying around or my imagination !

Jamie1114
25-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Another possible cause of rattles...

I've had an occasional rattle that I thought was near the centre of the dash. It only did it on rough patches of road. I thought it was on my left - my other half thought it was coming from her right. I looked for every possible cause in the middle of the car at the front. Then it struck me - the sunglasses holder, or more accurately, my sunglasses. I took out the sunglasses and the rattle stopped.

jtorange
25-11-2008, 03:52 PM
For those who haven't sorted this yet, I have a squeaky rattle also from what appears to be where the pillar meets the dash.

I think I have pinpointed it to the rubber strip that runs alongside the windscreen. It's particularly bad in dry weather but imrpoves when wet.

Those who know me from the old Audi Sport BBS willl remember my love of Krytox- a VAG silicone spray - and I will try a squirt to see if it sorts it...

jakerade
26-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Both my front windows rattle on rough surfaces particularly in wet weather - if i open them slightly it stops.

I have the audi mobile mechanic coming out on monday with some silicon spray or something similar

cressers
27-11-2008, 07:58 PM
mine did it this morning when cold, pushed everywhere, but did not stop. Was at low speeds, so 1,2,3,4 didnt get to 5th.

On the way home, nothing. It was warmer though.

Will follow the thread.

jakerade
27-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Mine didnt do it today - very annoying. However the mobile tech is a good guy so hopefully he can sort something!

nm2003
28-11-2008, 09:45 AM
On a similar note, has anyone noticed a occasional faint ticking noise while stationary at the lights, coming from the driver's side B-Pillar (right hand side)?

Does not happen always...

kelvinbishop
01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I think I have fixed this problem on my car.

I thought the noise was coming from the dashboard on the right hand side but I now beleive that the noise only appeared to be coming from that area because it was being transmitted via the air vent on the right hand side of the dash.

I discovered that if i lightly tapped the panel below the headlight swith around the area of the bonnet release / diagnostic port I could reproduce the same rattle.

I stopped the rattle By using a small piece of foam rubber behind the panelto pack it where it contacts the vertical side panel.

I have had no problems since and I am sure I would have done with the low termperatures and the bumpy roads I have been travelling on over the weekend

Hope this helps!