PDA

View Full Version : vw 1.9tdi loss of power

RickyA
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi any chance anyone can help, i've got a VW passat 1.9 Tdi 115bhp been running great then last week when driving along the motorway at about 60mph lost turbo boost pressure , so stopped turned engine off and on and worked ok ,then it's slowly gone worse. I got a genuine Bosch air flow meter which i thought did the trick but 3 days later as soon as i got on the motorway it did it again. The engine seems to over boost when you rev it and can here the inlet pipes compressing from the turbo and holding pressure , i took the catalystic converter unit off and seem to stop when i reved it again but seems to look ok inside the converter ,has anyone had this similar type of thing happen to them any suggestions would be appreciated ,

cheers Rick.

Crasher
07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
You have an over boost and the first step must be to get a fault code read done and code 17965 is the usual result. You could quickly test the boost control vacuum circuit to make sure it is sealed by removing the small 3-mm vacuum pipe from the brake servo hose (carefully, you can snap this off) and suck on it, it should be air tight.

RickyA
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi thanks a lot i'll try it out tomorrow , someone mentioned the diagnostics but said if the engine management light is not showing on the dash no faults will be stored , i'll get it plugged in somewhere and see what it comes up with .