PDA

View Full Version : Question Continental driving with B7 'normal' headlamps

JohnH
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm about to go to France and have read that their police can be rather keen at stopping UK cars without headlamp conversion.

I've carried a set of 'beam benders' for a while but have previously not used them in Belgium / Holland as it was summer and a I just 'wound down' the headlamp leveling.

Given that I'll be doing more night driving this time I am guessing I'll need to fit the beam-benders, however there are no markings on the clear plastic headlamp lenses and I've seen a few cars around with what looks like damaged headlamps following application of beam benders....

Has anyone fitted these to their B7 and if so did it emerge unscathed ?

My old B5 had a useful lever behind each projector lamp to do this so I guess this is 'progress' then :D

GH20TDI
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I bought the plastic stone guards that have marks on them to position the black tape (not sure about the 'beam benders').

Quite an expensive way to do it, but accurate at least. I just leave the guards off the car in the UK (which makes them pretty pointless I guess!)

Lord Buckingham
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm about to go to France and have read that their police can be rather keen at stopping UK cars without headlamp conversion.

I've carried a set of 'beam benders' for a while but have previously not used them in Belgium / Holland as it was summer and a I just 'wound down' the headlamp leveling.

Given that I'll be doing more night driving this time I am guessing I'll need to fit the beam-benders, however there are no markings on the clear plastic headlamp lenses and I've seen a few cars around with what looks like damaged headlamps following application of beam benders....

Has anyone fitted these to their B7 and if so did it emerge unscathed ?

My old B5 had a useful lever behind each projector lamp to do this so I guess this is 'progress' then :D

Posted this earlier in the forum, should help you:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43096

Cheers

Richard

JohnH
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks to both of you, the link looks useful.

The car is a company car and the lease is up in 5 months so I won't invest in the headlamp protectors although I accept it's a good idea.

Despite this I don't want to damage the headlamps (unusual caring about a lease car I know) and I've seen quite a few cars with glue residue (or perhaps worse) left on following beam-bender / tape application but I guess I'll risk it.

Thanks again.