PDA

View Full Version : 140 Tdi using oil?

boofont
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi all, my 140 Tdi GT sport has done 9000 miles, just the other day I had to add a litre of oil to get the oil warning light to go out, should I be worried?

knt
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
You should really check the oil more often, like every time you fill up with fuel tyres and oil levels should be checked.
Waiting for the display light to come on before you top it up isn't good.
Having said that, I'm too are guilty of not checking it regularly.

GDEvans
06-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I was quite shocked with the oil usage of my 3 yr old GT TDI 140. I have had petrol cars in the past which hardly burn any oil between services.

I had a minor heart attack a couple of weeks ago when my oil light came on - at about 6pm in the middle of nowhere! Had to teach my mum how to use the internet over the phone so I could find the nearest Halfords. Now I have POIs for all Halfords in my TomTom.

And I'm going to check the oil more often! Now I carry a litre with me at all times.

RickT
06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
That sounds normal to me on a new engine..

Once you have gone past the 15k miles mark it should settle down..

(This is why they supply you with a litre of oil when you purchase the car new..)

Cheers

Rick

TimmyTim
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Oil usage can vary depening on how the car has been run-in and oil types used! I always start my TDi and let it idle for around 10 sec (15-20 in winter) to allow the oil to get to the top of the engine!And after a high speeds let it idle for 30sec to cool the turbo down. This way you can get at least 50k more life out of the engine.

I would check the oil at least once a week! My car doesn't use a drop of oil between services (6-8k)

Asy
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeh they're all the same mine was down on Minimum when i checked and it's only done 8K...

euroslap
07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
You need to check the dipstick a lot more regularly or you'll end up with an astronomical repair bill on your brand new car. I'm pretty sure VW would duck out on warranty if the engine's been run dry of oil. :(

TimmyTim
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
You need to check the dipstick a lot more regularly or you'll end up with an astronomical repair bill on your brand new car. I'm pretty sure VW would duck out on warranty if the engine's been run dry of oil. :(

I agree... It's an easy way out for VW! But as you said, oil should be checked regularly.

boofont
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Why check the dip stick all the time when VW have built a warning circuit? Granted, this may fail but then that will be under warranty so they should sort it. You're all going to say this is foolish but how many of you rely on the other protection circuits (oil pump for example) with out checking the systems serviceability on a frequent basis?

I think the thing to do is perhaps monitor a bit closer but I'm not going to get **** about it. Cheers all the same though and thanks.

GarJE
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Got to butt in here and say that people who check their oil on a regular basis generally take better overall care of their car.

Those people I know that don't do this strangely have more catastrophic problems with their vehicles than the people I know who do check the oil often.

paul.mgrath
25-10-2008, 09:17 PM
mine uses 1ltr every 3000 miles. Couldn't believe it. Everyone i know with the 2 ltr diesel engine is the same. Went to vw about it and the guy said join the queue. Apparently its their best seller (at 13quid a throw).

I think its a good innovation a car with a self cleaning engine!!

My car has now done 34K and is still burning it at the same rate. Anybody who says this is normal must have shares in Castrol or something because every car i have owned has never burnt oil like this.

I do however now carry a ltr so as not to get caught out!!

hogwash
28-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Until I got my Golf tdi 140 six months ago I thought that the need to top up engine oil between services was a distant memory associated with British Leyland cars of the 1970s.
I've used more oil to top up my Golf over 4,000 miles (1 litre), than I've used in my previous 2 diesel cars which I ran for 140,000 miles. The oil level may have been a bit low however when I got the Golf.
I still have one of my "previous" cars: a 12 year old Rover 600 turbo diesel. It's done 100k without a pint of oil between services.
Used to check oil levels perhaps 3 or 4 times a year even though I never had to put any in. Now I check the Golf dipstick every month.
They should go back to designing engines which don't need topping up between services. We've all got more things to do than check oil levels.
I also wish the Golf dipstick was easier to read. It has too many nobbly bits. I know the Germans are very bright but why make things unnecessarily complicated for us thick Brits?
Why not have a straight dipstick with two lines one marked minimum and the other maximum with a gap between them?
I love driving the Golf thought, even if it uses a bit of oil and the dipstick isn't designed for a dipstick.
hogwash:Blush:

GarJE
28-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree with the dipstick! It almost gives a false reading, where a blob of oil sits high on the measuring markings, which if you're not prudent could lead you to believe it's full.

As for using oil, I think it's the turbo which uses some. Blame Garrett for that one!

Checking your oil once a month can't be that much of chore surely? I check all the fluids every fortnight when I wash the car.

GDEvans
29-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Checking your oil once a month can't be that much of chore surely? I check all the fluids every fortnight when I wash the car.

It isn't a chore to check the oil once a month. However, it is unusual for a car to get through so much oil these days. My previous cars - 3 Ford Focus and an Isuzu Trooper - hardly used any oil between services.

paul.mgrath
29-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I have no problems with checking the oil once a month but i agree 1ltr/3000 miles sounds like a money spinner to me.

Incidently i have a weekend car 1999 sti impreza running 310 bhp doesn't use a drop and regulary revs to 8500.

Sorry to mention other manufacturers but i am just staggered a modern car can use so much oil.

PS The golf is a wifey car so doesn't get any grief at all, however it is such a lovely kit to drive with so much torque i find there is no need to rev it!!

HISNIBS
30-10-2008, 03:38 PM
got my golf estate back in March 08, used oil when new and now @17500 miles it has settled down. It's the same with the industrial version of the engine too!

martynah
26-11-2008, 11:12 PM
170 TDI does it as well, according to the dealer it's normal - I pannicked also, plus the extended 30k ish service intervals as well can partially explain it.

The manual actually says that it's expected to use that amount, plus the 'amber' check oil lamp means 'you need to add about a litre of oil pretty soon' - I think it's a 'low' warning as opposed to the red 'stop now or I'll cease up' warning light which is oil pressure rather than oil level I believe.

HTH

Bobster-cyw
26-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Just out of interest I have just got a 1.6 fsi and have read a lot about long life services etc. Is there any specific oil I should be using to top up ?

hogwash
27-11-2008, 12:31 PM
This has been discussed previously in the Forum and there's lots of information and advice on it including the pros and cons of long-life servicing versus annual/10,000 mile servicing.
Go to search and type in "engine oil" or "long-life servicing" and find loads of advice and info.
hogwash:Blush2: