PDA

View Full Version : Question deletion of engine / model decal

Jop
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Why would you have the model / engine size-type designation omitted from a car???
I cant see why I would want it removed, but I see many cars without it.

besides personal taste, is there any other reason???

alexcf
06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I've got mine completely off, it's a 3.0tdi, and it's purely because sometimes when I park it in some dodgy area, I don't want to scream out to people that the guy driving it has spent a ton of money on a car...

Also means that you can surprise unsuspecting chavs off at the lights when they don't expect a car double the size of theirs with no decals to go zooming off and leaving them for dust. ;) Mind you, I've yet to find a chav at the lights.. :(

RichardCranium
06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Mine are still on but i think it does look better without. You can never get rid of all the muck from in between letters and numbers either

kodkod.84
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I liken it to wearing a t-shirt with s/m/l/xl stamped on the front of it!

I debadged mine but did manage to stick a sneaky 'S' S-Line badge to replace the engine size badge.

It's much more fun trying to guess the size of the engine from the exhaust configuration on an Audi as well.

frosth
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Easier to clean and it looks a lot better without them.

chuno
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I got fed up with Arval's offline system of quotes, and forgot to delete anything off my car (model, engine, even the smoker's pack). However I 'only' have a 2.0 TDI, a ubiquitous engine which probably won't interest most thieves.

Jop
06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Ahh, I didnt think of thieves, although good luck to em.
even I get confused when trying to get in and start the car. I just forget what order everything happens in.

Hit start.. no.. foot on clutch and hit start, yes.. its running.
Now lets go.. i'll do my seatbelt as I leave.. STALL!!! bugger, foot clutch, START. Foot on brake, release handbrake.. Great.
Now its beeping, whys that??? it must me my seatbelt.. BANG!!! No.. it was the parking sensors, sigh..

Personally I prefer the decal, it looks a bit bland without.

mkc
06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I had mine removed for no other reason than I prefer it clean around the back! :p Yes its a 1.8 and Im not trying to hide anything regarding the engine size. I just prefer the clean look of the car with out random models and numbers written all over the boot.

Anybody who knows anything about these cars will know its not a 3.0/3.2 due to placing of the exhausts anyway.

tlionhart
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Would delete it if i had a 3.2. Stops chavs trying to tempt you for a race...Also nick the car.

If i took the engine capacity off it be for cleaning, stops getting polish into the capacity. Would only do it on an A4, A5+ etc...but an A3 wouldn't bother.

My dad took this off his A3, looked bit bare so stuck them back on again.

All the other posts to this question is interesting

Plife
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I had a big debate about this when ordering my car. Finally decided that I would leave them on. I always had this thought in my mind that I would be trying to hide what it was - like all those pepole who stick badges on to pretend it is something it isn't. I think if I had the 3.0TDi or the 3.2 then I would have had them removed.

Cleaning issue......don't see this as an issue.....nothing a detaling brush won't solve :)

alexcf
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I got fed up with Arval's offline system of quotes, and forgot to delete anything off my car (model, engine, even the smoker's pack). However I 'only' have a 2.0 TDI, a ubiquitous engine which probably won't interest most thieves.

Heh, who did you deal with at Arval? :)

mkc
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Im with Arval and the lady I spoke to was perfect in the entire process of quotes, tax etc.

chuno
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe I made the mistake of getting quotes by email then, it seemed such a faff that initially I forgot to request a quote including metallic/pearl paint. Then it didn't occur to me I would have to get quotes for free options, so I forgot to request the free options!

I won't name the lady because she was fine, just the system seems a bit dated. I was with Leaseplan before, and an online system seems to be a much better option - just so much faster and you're less likely to forget to spec something IMO.

chuno
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
To get back on topic, I like the model and engine badges now that I have the car, it would look a bit bare without them.

HighwayTG
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I had the engine decal removed ... I suppose I want people to think i have a 3 litre under the bonnet... sad I know.:Blush2:

neilb
06-10-2008, 08:13 PM
If you have them on the rear, can they be pulled off, or are they welded on somehow?

nlb

HighwayTG
06-10-2008, 08:20 PM
If you have them on the rear, can they be pulled off, or are they welded on somehow?

nlb

On my new car I ordered without the engine decal but on my previous Audi A4 B7 model I removed the decal by warming with a hair dryer, this melts the glue and decal is easly removed.

kodkod.84
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Yep dental floss and 3M adhesive remover also does the trick.

Remember to polish where the badges were to blend out the shadow.

JJAvant
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
When I went to collect my new Avant, I had a right mix and match because although I had ordered model and engine size deletion it had come from the factory with its A4 badge on.

However as previous replies have said these badges must come off pretty easily because the car was reversed from the delivery area of the showroom into the service area and within 5 minutes was back with the A4 badge removed and not a trace of where it had been.

For me, with a black car (my second), it was a no brainer to dispense with the model and engine size badges as it is a pain enough keeping the 4 Audi rings clean. However I did go for the chrome tailpipes on my 1.8T SE which sets off the back just right - in my opinion.

Audi Nick
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I couldn't afford the decal's :( and so had to go without!

kodkod.84
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I couldn't afford the decal's :( and so had to go without!

Huh!?

Audi now charge for the badges on the car- surely not :confused:

mkc
08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I think that was sarcastic. They dont charge for them and they dont charge to remove them! :D In my view perhaps they could give us a few quid off for not using them!

awtaylor
08-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I think that was sarcastic. They dont charge for them and they dont charge to remove them! :D In my view perhaps they could give us a few quid off for not using them!

I got a bit over enthusiastic cleaning my previous B7 and it became a "pointless" 20 litre TDI for most of it's life.

Did ask Audi if they would stick it back on for me but they would only entertain removing the remainder of the badge and apply a new one for £4.99 plus labour as it wasn't covered by warranty :confused:. So that's the value of a new badge.

Stuck it back on myself just before I traded her in.

derekm
15-10-2008, 03:45 PM
If you ordered your car with the engine or model badges and you dont like them just take them off yourself. Its the easiest job in the world.

Just get the hairdrier out and warm the whole area up nicely and they will pull off. Then use nail varnish remover to clean the remaining glue and any marks. Then polish and wax up the area. Job done. :D

Thats what I did. :o

neilb
15-10-2008, 10:23 PM
just done the same, works a treat!

nlb.