PDA

View Full Version : Question Service due - Dealer or independent

silvershadow
05-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, advice please. My a4 avant 170 sline quattro service indicator (longlife) states 100 miles to service. First question - what will happen if you don't service it on schedule and secondly any major need to use the dealers or will an indepoendent suffice. Your experience/ advice please!!!! I plan to keep the car for a while so is the audi stamp worth the extra at service time?

onzarob
05-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, advice please. My a4 avant 170 sline quattro service indicator (longlife) states 100 miles to service. First question - what will happen if you don't service it on schedule and secondly any major need to use the dealers or will an indepoendent suffice. Your experience/ advice please!!!! I plan to keep the car for a while so is the audi stamp worth the extra at service time?

We don't call them *******'s here, well we try not to. I would suggest you get your car service before time as the variable interval service is eking out the service already so don't push it any further.

A fair few technical chaps on here would suggest switching away from variable to fixed as in the long run it is better.

mluton
05-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I did the switch to fixed and also only use independants for servicing now.

Karl
05-10-2008, 11:03 PM
indipendant is just as good, if not better some times.

also go onto the fixed, the variable eaks it out too far in my opinion. im going on to fixed in 1200 miles when mine needs doing but I will be still using the varaiable oil as its a better quality oil plus then I dont have the issue of mixing the dregs of the old 5-30 oil with the fixed 10-40 stuff, it shouldnt cause an issue but im very fussy about mixing oils.

silvershadow
06-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will switch to fixed and go independent, but maintain the long life oil.