PDA

View Full Version : ABS problems

Dan_SUFC
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Apologies if this has been asked to death but I am at my wits end.

My car went for its MOT and unfortunately it was running with an ABS warning light. When i connected it to the scanner it came up as 0287 rear off side speed sensor. I cleared the error, swapped the sensor and it seemed to follow the faulty sensor so I bought a replacement sensor, cleared the fault and left it for a couple of days.

Anyway - to cut a long story short, the ABS warning light stayed off. Took it to the MOT for the retest, he was ready to give it the passed certificate and the light came back on again! http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif so he wouldn't pass it.

Put it on the scanner again and it came back with rear abs sensor again - even with the new one fitted.

Has anyone had any experience of this problem as this is probably the last time it'll go through the MOT and I just want to sort it to get it's ticket.

I have heard that VWs and SEATs in particular can go through ECUs and am hoping it's not this. but if so where would I go about getting a replacement and where is it located?

Many thanks

Dan

thefoolmccool
05-10-2008, 09:26 PM
If all else fails, you could pull the bulb out of the dash fairly handy

Dan_SUFC
06-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Cheers for that
That's a point but would the light not have to come on first then go off? like a system test or is the test centre unlikely to pick it up? Also - do I have to dismantle the dash to remove the bulb or can it be accessed from the access to the fuses?

thefoolmccool
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Cheers for that
That's a point but would the light not have to come on first then go off? like a system test or is the test centre unlikely to pick it up? Also - do I have to dismantle the dash to remove the bulb or can it be accessed from the access to the fuses?

I dont think the light has to come on at ignition.
I dont know what car you have and hence what dash, but usually you just have to take the instrument cluster out which is held in by 4 or so screws?

adamss24
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I had a customers car once and some roghue dealer blanked out the ABS light and disconected the buzzer. It will not pass the MOT test as the lamp has to come ON with the ignition and go OFF after self test. If it does not come ON on the dash its a failure i'm afraid. I would check if the new ABS sensor its seated corectly in its place and i would clean the conectors with emery paper. If the fault still came on, then the NEW sensor its duff. If the fault reffers to intermitent comunication with the Instrument cluster then, its a faulty brake switch or a dry solder joint on the ABS pump ECU. The thing is, ECU is integral with the pump....

thefoolmccool
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a customers car once and some roghue dealer blanked out the ABS light and disconected the buzzer. It will not pass the MOT test as the lamp has to come ON with the ignition and go OFF after self test. If it does not come ON on the dash its a failure i'm afraid. I would check if the new ABS sensor its seated corectly in its place and i would clean the conectors with emery paper. If the fault still came on, then the NEW sensor its duff. If the fault reffers to intermitent comunication with the Instrument cluster then, its a faulty brake switch or a dry solder joint on the ABS pump ECU. The thing is, ECU is integral with the pump....

I know people who have successfully got their cars through MOT here in N. Ireland with this method and we have only government run testing facilities which are notoriously strict. Also, not all cars have ABS so its maybe worth a risk. IMO

thefoolmccool
10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I know people who have successfully got their cars through MOT here in N. Ireland with this method and we have only government run testing facilities which are notoriously strict. Also, not all cars have ABS so its maybe worth a risk. IMO

Check this out
http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83056

adamss24
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
ABS will trigger a RED warning lamp and three beeps every time the ignition is ON on a Vag car. ABS light and AIRBAG are Yellow lights, any RED lights on dash equals a FAIL ! If there are any yellow lights, you will get an advisory....