PDA

View Full Version : Golf turbos

DeborahC
05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Our VW Golf TDI broke down on Monday - got it towed to the dealership who looked at it on Tuesday. The turbo has mechanically failed. The golf is 3 years old and has done 55,000 miles. A new turbo costs £1,100 including labour it will cost at least £1,516 to fix.

The warranty expired in August - typical.

To be fair the dealership contacted VW on our behalf to have come back and offered to pay 40% of the costs. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they'll pay any more. I don't think that a turbo should fail so quickly.

I'm trying to find out reliability stats about golfs on the net but can't seem to find any. Any one got any ideas or advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.

Crasher
05-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Failure of the turbo on the 140PS BKD code engine is extremely common, my local VAG TPS (genuine trade parts) keeps two in stock at all times.

CMcK
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know which turbo is fitted to the 2.0 CR diesel engine?

What is causing all these turbo failures on the PD engines?

The KKK turbo on my 98 A6 1.8T was still fine after 140,000 miles.

outofbounds
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi deborah,

i have a 55 plate golf 2.0 tdi, 39k miles. it got a new turbo after 29k, another after 33 k and another after 36k (with an intercooler this time) all from a vw dealer. ! 3 turbos! .. it was all under warranty, and still is for a few more months, but i am scared the same will happen again and thus am planning on changing it...

turbos do go after a while, but the first turbo which went ,which was after 29 k, was too soon and i know that VW gifted the new turbo to the VW dealer for that reason. not sure if your 55 k miles is too soon though...

did you get a whirring sound at all before it ceased working. normally heard just after moving off from the idle position, first and second gear etc?

knt
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
The turbo in my TSI failed after a few hundred miles from new.

Just terrible these VWs.

vwdubsteve
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
What exactly is wrong with your golf? also for a fact Mk4 turbos always have the windows drop, breather hose in engine bay melt, central locking, recirculation hose comes off and coils die! but any thing else seems to run fine lol! any questions just ask and ill see if I can answer them
Steve